didn't we all have long stem's back in the day ?

I do remember stems being very long...the stem on my muddy fox Courier comp (1990) must have been 180/200mm long!

Now I'm running 110

Neil G":xnrhkpji said:
I do remember stems being very long...the stem on my muddy fox Courier comp (1990) must have been 180/200mm long!

Now I'm running 110

180/200???? did you measure that in dick inches :LOL: :LOL:

perry":3c0lx2cw said:
i think for normal riding along they are a winner

When i see a 29er winner is one of the last things i think. Never ridden one so maybe they're ace. However i recall the hype regarding 700c mtbs bitd, that fad passed already.

As for stem length if you stick an short stem and risers on an old skool 'racey' hardtail it'll ride like shit. Nothing wrong with riding 130. Man up i say.

i know of someone who puts in 50 offroad miles a day , on a 29" wheel . i doubt he cares if its a fad or not

if you stick a short stem and risers on an old skool 'racey' hardtail it'll ride like shit.

on what experience do you make this informed fact ?

can one of the fellas post a pic of a 180mm stem . who has the biggest on the site ??? ( ooh err :LOL: )

John":3cjmx4a5 said:
perry":3cjmx4a5 said:

When i see a 29er winner is one of the last things i think. Never ridden one so maybe they're ace. However i recall the hype regarding 700c mtbs bitd, that fad passed already.

As for stem length if you stick an short stem and risers on an old skool 'racey' hardtail it'll ride like shit. Nothing wrong with riding 130. Man up i say.

Pretty sure the guy that won SSUK was on a 29er, for what thats worth
:LOL:

perry":2in6511o said:
i know of someone who puts in 50 offroad miles a day , on a 29" wheel . i doubt he cares if its a fad or not

Quite. Each to thie own and all that.

perry":2in6511o said:
if you stick a short stem and risers on an old skool 'racey' hardtail it'll ride like shit.

on what experience do you make this informed fact ?

Come off it. Are you suggesting my Yo Eddy (or any other 'norba' angled hardtail) will ride better with a bmx stem and moto-x bars? These bikes were built to cover terrain at speed (or race), not jump or ride cliff faces.

On what experience do you say it's 'better'? Really think the onus is on you to convince me (and 97%) of the retro community we should be ditching our 10/11/12/13/14/15 cm stems and turning our rides into Raleigh Bombers.

Sure if you come from a bmx background and want to put one on your jumping hardtail then go for it.

As for your original q i have tried a shorter stem with rise and risers on a couple of bikes and hated it. It's horses for courses :-D

fair enough but long stems really stood the test of time

when i used a 130mm stem a few weeks ago the bike handled like a barge . i had to strap a phone to my bars and phone in what direction to take it was soo far away :LOL:

now lets see the realllly long stems :D

kaiser":3rk4mtmh said:
John":3rk4mtmh said:
perry":3rk4mtmh said:

Pretty sure the guy that won SSUK was on a 29er, for what thats worth
:LOL:

But the French guy who wins world cups,world champs and olympic golds rides a 26" wheeled hardtail,for what thats worth ;)

BITD I rode the correct length. Then when I got to now 110 is far to short. Feel like i'm over the front wheel. I like a bit more space and 135 does it.
I also noticed now that 0 rise is the fashion?? I don't remember seeing that many BITD? Or is my grey matter failing me?? :roll:

Back