didn't we all have long stem's back in the day ?

The older (retro) bikes, 125mm ish works best at the mo. Plus I am actually tallish. 90 or 100 on my big wheel commuter, and stubbys on my moderns which happen to be almost BMXs anyway! Getting too old and creaky for em all! 130mm+ is too much for me, low isn't good either. Oh and the new drop handle is getting upturned too probs.

Suppose ya find what works for ya and that discipline... eventually! :D

fatfixie":2e93ke6x said:
I used to run a 170mm Syncros 1" quill on my Mongoose Iboc Comp BITD

Couldn't work out why my back hurt so much (i'm only 1m73/ 5 foot 8 ) :eek:

Andy

I own a Syncros 170mm 1" quill...it's massive.

kaiser":1hx6tgb4 said:
MJN":1hx6tgb4 said:
kaiser":1hx6tgb4 said:
perry":1hx6tgb4 said:
if you take a look at the bike pjorn thread a lot of people have a desire for a 29er

they seem to fit the criteria of the old xc needs . ie stable . simple . a larger wheel will roll over small bumps easier and will handle well over large distances . you are left sitting in the bike rather than perched on top of it

they dont look too bad either . the higher front can leave you with a low stem with flat bars

i think for normal riding along they are a winner

+1 :)

-1 :shock: Most 29ers look hideous,unless the rider is really tall.Its just another niche

Can you say hand on your heart that the Kish, Potts and Pereira in the bike pjorn thread are hideous?

29er just dont look right . i have never tried one so cant comment on how good or bad they are to ride .

kaiser":1wz24qaf said:
MJN":1wz24qaf said:
kaiser":1wz24qaf said:
perry":1wz24qaf said:
if you take a look at the bike pjorn thread a lot of people have a desire for a 29er

they seem to fit the criteria of the old xc needs . ie stable . simple . a larger wheel will roll over small bumps easier and will handle well over large distances . you are left sitting in the bike rather than perched on top of it

they dont look too bad either . the higher front can leave you with a low stem with flat bars

-1 :shock: Most 29ers look hideous,unless the rider is really tall.Its just another niche

Can you say hand on your heart that the Kish, Potts and Pereira in the bike pjorn thread are hideous?

29er just dont look right . i have never tried one so cant comment on how good or bad they are to ride .
and i have to say those Kish do nothing for me .
all this hype about american steel frame is just ridiculous . European have been doing frames like that for the past 50 years at a fraction of the cost .
and i should be able to demonstrate that very soon I hope .

-1 :shock: Most 29ers look hideous,unless the rider is really tall.Its just another niche[/quote]

totally agree 29ers nasty

Perry, I did add a wink :)

But well age does alter one's stance on what is retro and what one is used to riding, though aren't you a BMXer as well. That probably has more to do with wanting a short stem than being youthful and able to ride bikes without all the aches.

tintin ?
29r%20bike-2.jpg

yes i was riding bmx in those years which influenced me heavily when i got my first crappy mtb a few years later

i was going to mention the trimble but thought it a josh in the plums a bit too far :LOL: :LOL:

kaiser":2rb56uxn said:
MJN":2rb56uxn said:
kaiser":2rb56uxn said:
perry":2rb56uxn said:

On their own they look ok but next to a normal bike they look all wrong and in the flesh/metal they look even worse!
At Mountain mayhem there were loads of them about,even some Jones spaceframes and hand on heart I didn't like a single one,even though I wanted to like the Singular team bikes and all their retroness I just couldn't.
If 29ers are the future thank god I'm stuck in the past :D
Oh and I'd really love a Kish but they do them with normal wheels aswell!

MJN":kr55s7yo said:
kaiser":kr55s7yo said:
MJN":kr55s7yo said:
kaiser":kr55s7yo said:
perry":kr55s7yo said:

On their own they look ok but next to a normal bike they look all wrong and in the flesh/metal they look even worse!
At Mountain mayhem there were loads of them about,even some Jones spaceframes and hand on heart I didn't like a single one,even though I wanted to like the Singular team bikes and all their retroness I just couldn't.
If 29ers are the future thank god I'm stuck in the past :D
Oh and I'd really love a Kish but they do them with normal wheels aswell!

and here I am thinking you were with me on the 'emperors new clothes' trip :LOL: *

*kaiser 29er build in the Q :roll: :LOL:

If your building one then I hope it rides really nicely and if we ever meet up I wouldn't mind a go its just a looks thing :D

Back