didn't we all have long stem's back in the day ?

Ransetsu

Retro Guru
when i was buying MTB's back in the 80's / early 90's the doctrine at the time seemd to be frame 1 size smaller - stem quite long - for a long low racing position ? short stems we were told led to a cramped cockpit ! thus i have a 150 long 10 deg rise purple Zooka stem at home ......

Mine's 120mm but I'm finding that with that stem and flat bars, my hand position is so low/far forward that I'm actually getting a crick in my neck by just looking up to see where I'm going.

I'm wondering how much help I'd get to straighten up from a shorter stem (90mm?) and riser bars. :?

first thing i did was change to a bmx stem and riser bars

long stems and flat bars are the worst thing to ever happen to bicycles on dirt

perry":e3tbwxl0 said:

I like the retro look given by a long stem/flat bar, but practically speaking, it just isn't too comfortable.

A BMX stem you say? Wow, that's a really short reach. Very interesting...

yes.

I remember this changing in the mid to late 90's. A lot of hype around this genesis geometry with a shorter stem iirc, though I'm sure a there were other builders doing it before trek/gary fisher, or at least I would imagine.

with a short stem and more weight over the rear you will be going so quick you wont have time to think about looking at the front tyre :p

perry":jvom0h3s said:

Coming from somebody who was 8 when the now retro stuff was new and not even a teenager when the riser is cool craze started :roll:
;)

Back