Diamondback Axis TT Pro project

Ti frames with blue SIDS always look so good.

However I’d keep this original as it looks so damn good and that’s the appeal for me. It could be catologue perfect with so little effort and it’s a bike they nailed from factory.

Regret not buying it now as I sold a DBR Ti axis frame a few years ago and fancied another.
It will definitely be back to stock, just fancied a few path rides before I have a few days free in a month or so.

Yes it’s turned out to be a strip and service, rather than a long project with finding bits. Just going to check the chain length and ring wear to see if it’s as long mileage as I think it is.

Tackled the crank/chainset and it’s definitely a low mileage bike. Seeming to be a commuter bike. Rings are really good with minimal rub.

Going to tackle the mechs and the cassette.

Attachments

• IMG_6182.png
    IMG_6182.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6177.jpeg
    IMG_6177.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 21
I think those cranks, well the build deserves better chain rings than those pressed metal Shimano ones.

More enjoyable cleaning!

I have decided this was a commuter that’s hasn’t been used off road. It’s so clean underneath and has no wear. The original chain (pretty much positive it is as it’s what specified in the catalogue) has not stretched at all.

Taken time to clean as the grime that was on it was extremely tacky and hard to remove. A number of soaks in degreaser and my trusty wooden tooth/party sticks were needed.

Avid triangle cantis have the original brake blocks and have all come up as new.

Bottom bracket undid easily and just needed a tooth brush clean on the threads and inside the cup. It’s an Adventure Components titanium (135g!!) as in the catalogue.

Next job is cleaning up the front half of the bike. Starting with the manitous.

Attachments

• IMG_6501.jpeg
    IMG_6501.jpeg
    420.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6498.jpeg
    IMG_6498.jpeg
    442.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6494.jpeg
    IMG_6494.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6491.jpeg
    IMG_6491.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6490.jpeg
    IMG_6490.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6486.jpeg
    IMG_6486.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6488.jpeg
    IMG_6488.jpeg
    422 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6484.jpeg
    IMG_6484.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6480.jpeg
    IMG_6480.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 12
Also having luck finding a few (I’m selling bits to fund this build as I’m not a millionaire collector) NOS bits at what I think is a reasonable price delivered:

Dia compe PC11 for £35
Tioga stem cap £5

NOS Ritchey grips seem to be plentyfull, but bars, seatpost and saddle are trickier to find. A few NOS bars in America but the £50 postage, plus tax when here make it hard to swallow. Though neither of the 3 are in that bad condition as they are anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_6586.png
    IMG_6586.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6585.png
    IMG_6585.png
    972.7 KB · Views: 1
A few new parts have turned up (brake levers & Tioga stem cap), but 2 weeks of chronic sciatica has stopped play.

Trying to track down a better condition bars and saddle…but it may be a long wait or £50 postage from the USA.

Attachments

• IMG_6653.jpeg
    IMG_6653.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 6
I’ve had severe sciatica for over 2 months now (can only sleep upright in a sofa!) but with some relief now showing itself I’ve completed a few more tasks.

Seatpost now changed to an original Silver Titec thanks to @Suprachrgd82 who sent it from the USA which was amazing of him!

All new cables but kept the outer as as they are in great condition and original (I think). The gripshifts were serviced and are crack free. Chain had a deep clean and was put back on as it has no signs of wear.

New brake pads on the Avid Tri-align cantilevers, which made a huge difference to the stopping power. I’m really surprised at how good they are power wise and also so easy to set up!

Just finished with setting the gears up which was a 5 minute job and about to take her for a quick spin up the road.

Attachments

• IMG_7661.jpeg
    IMG_7661.jpeg
    613.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7662.jpeg
    IMG_7662.jpeg
    685.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7663.jpeg
    IMG_7663.jpeg
    550.7 KB · Views: 16
Back