Diamondback Ascent & Apex differences

I had an Ascent EX around 1991 which I fondly remember, if only for the story of how it was stolen by a 'buyer' from Loot ! .
I was considering the Apex and Axis at the time but the Ascent EX actually looked better then the others, it was black with pink paint splatter which sounds horrible but looked great, all the components were Deore ( DX ?) and yes the frame was the same but I think the Apex had Deore LX . The shop ( the original ' buy a bike' shop at Charnock Richard. I went in with the question 'what's the best mtb I can have for £500 ? 'and was steered away from the overhyped Scott's I was looking at to the Diamondback range they'd just got in , the Ascent looked more bike fir the money and I never regretted it

If there's any appetite for the theft story. I'll share it but dont want to be a bore 😴 even though it's like an episode of the sweeney.

I think it depends on the year. For at least 1994 / 95 the frames were different, the Ascent was True Temper AVR and the Apex True Temper TT Lite

Hearing about thieves methods helps us all avoid them.

Is there a risk though that publishing them on the Internet spreads information on how useless a £20 halfords d lock is?

What i learned over the years? Screenshot_20241006-075357_Firefox.jpg

The average stolen bike isn't locked at all!

I had an Ascent EX around 1991 which I fondly remember, if only for the story of how it was stolen by a 'buyer' from Loot ! .
I was considering the Apex and Axis at the time but the Ascent EX actually looked better then the others, it was black with pink paint splatter which sounds horrible but looked great, all the components were Deore ( DX ?) and yes the frame was the same but I think the Apex had Deore LX . The shop ( the original ' buy a bike' shop at Charnock Richard. I went in with the question 'what's the best mtb I can have for £500 ? 'and was steered away from the overhyped Scott's I was looking at to the Diamondback range they'd just got in , the Ascent looked more bike fir the money and I never regretted it

If there's any appetite for the theft story. I'll share it but dont want to be a bore 😴 even though it's like an episode of the sweeney.
That Ascent EX had Deore Lx (Mountain LX) and the Apex had Deore DX I'm fairly sure.

Changed in '93. Apex was OX and then for '95 it was TT lite. Joined by the Axis R in '96 using TT Lite custom short butted tubing if I remember correctly.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I think I have a 1990 ascent. It is the white with smoke blue paint. The frame came home from one of the bike co-ops a few years ago. Someone had repainted it with some kind of appliance paint.

Here is the bike, I believe (not mine). The frame uses a 1-1/8" headset and am unsure about the seatpost diameter.

Attachments

• DSC00672.jpg
    DSC00672.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00673.jpg
    DSC00673.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00674.jpg
    DSC00674.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00675.jpg
    DSC00675.jpg