Diamondback Ascent & Apex differences

BiketoBasics

Dirt Disciple
Is there any difference between these two bikes other than componentry? I think the frames are both the same from what I gather.

I had an Ascent EX around 1991 which I fondly remember, if only for the story of how it was stolen by a 'buyer' from Loot ! .
I was considering the Apex and Axis at the time but the Ascent EX actually looked better then the others, it was black with pink paint splatter which sounds horrible but looked great, all the components were Deore ( DX ?) and yes the frame was the same but I think the Apex had Deore LX . The shop ( the original ' buy a bike' shop at Charnock Richard. I went in with the question 'what's the best mtb I can have for £500 ? 'and was steered away from the overhyped Scott's I was looking at to the Diamondback range they'd just got in , the Ascent looked more bike fir the money and I never regretted it

If there's any appetite for the theft story. I'll share it but dont want to be a bore 😴 even though it's like an episode of the sweeney.

I think it depends on the year. For at least 1994 / 95 the frames were different, the Ascent was True Temper AVR and the Apex True Temper TT Lite

Back