deore xt vs dx, early '90

norton

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hey, could you please tell me what is the different between xt and dx? weight, etc

i could buy a nos full dx mtb for 160 GBP.

thx, norbert

Something is rattling around the back of my head telling me that overall DX was actually lighter than 7-speed XT.

Biggest differences are that the DX thumbshifters had horrid steel clamps and the XT hubs had lovely little grease injection ports in 3 of the 4 bearings. Oh, and XT had "Shimano" embossed into the cranks, and DX had "Shimano Deore" from the previous years when DX was "Deore" and XT was "XT-II".

Those two along with original XTR and '93 LX were really the last groupsets Shimano made which really floated my boat.

XT cranksets were machine finished and had thicker better quality rings, considerably higher in quality over DX

XT rear mechs had aluminium parrallelagrams, DX was alu and steel

XT had cermamic bearing jockey wheels and all aluminium cages, DX were steel/ alu/ standard j/wheels.

XT cantis had better finish pad holders

The hub bodies were the same design but XT had greaseports and better finish axles.

front mechs had superficial differences from 500LX through till XT

XT and DX are both competent kit. Technically: DX didn't have the grease ports on the hubs like XT did, but the XT ports were not an andvanced grease refreshing system like with Grease Guard. I can very well do without. Standard the DX bb and probably headset had a couple less balls fitted in the bearings. The balls are fitted in a ring, so you should replace them anyway. Same for XT. With XT the bb spindle is of a thougher quality.

LX mech pulleys weren't sealed, that is why for me it starts with DX and it is possibly also part of the reason why many bikes had LX with XT r-mech from 1994 on. Besides marketing of course.

Back