Definitive guide please for removing stuck/rusted seatpost.

alkingsmill

Old School Hero
Sorry i realise it isn't exactly retro chat but i'm at my wits end, if i dont figure out how to remove it soon i'm going to try with my teeth !!

There is no seatpost clamp it's directly into the frame as pic shows, i don't mind writing off the post if i have to.

Bonus points for naming the make of bike !!

Attachments

• P1030273.JPG
    P1030273.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,906
Loads of WD40,plus gas and soak it,either that or drill a hole thru the post near to the clamp and put a lever through it and twist?

the way i usuually do it at my shop is initially try all the usual penetrating fluids,the heavy duty ones like rost off ice(by wurth) etc, sometimes i remove the b/b to spray up the seatube, then after it is soaked it might move. but you have to wait for the fluids to penetrate, we spray then leave it for an hour then repeat a couple of times.

when that hasn't worked, the next step is more penetrating oils and bike upside down clamped by the seatpost in a vice and use the frame as leverage to turn and pull/push up and hopefully remove the post, this usually kills the post!

when that doesn't work we cut the post off at about 1 inch above the top of the frame and we have an electric saw that is like a carving knife that we stick down the inside of the remains of the post and we cut a couple of slots in the post at which point ususally things start to move but if they don't we try and clamp the post in on itself (that's why you leave some sticking out of the frame) and this helps get the post away from the steel tube of the frame and you can force an old screwdriver down between the seatube and the post to wedge them apart. time, patience and skill will eventually get it out. although remember to use a saw blade that will cut aluminium and not steel. this way should not damage the frame if you do it carefully.

you will need to ream the seatube after this then fit your new post with copaslip! :D

i charge £25 and the new post usually.

hope that helps

ditto jonnyboy666.
if the post is really thick and you are getting the frame painted eventually then get an engineering firm to drill it out its cheap and they can ream it at the same time.

You could try applying some heat to the seat tube, a hair dryer can work and I've also heard of a freezing product that can shrink the post. I would try the heat before the vice with the vice and freezing after you've trashed the post.

if its a steel frame and an alloy post then you can remove the botton bracket and pour in caustic soda through the hole in the bb.

Caustic soda has removed a few seized posts of mine in the past as it eats alloy and not steel.

Just remember to wash it all out well after and wd40 everything again.

Back