Deciphering Klein S/N

mkozaczek":3qo8b1r5 said:
Just to throw a little cold water on the idea that early 1990 Attitudes, SN: ATxxx, had some issues with headsets and they then started BATxxx with the headsets done correctly... I only ask b/c I've see a few of these B K AT serial numbers, where the K is the Klein symbol and the frames were actually AT serials which were either repaired or modified after initial welding and changed over to B.

Forgot about this but it's "BAT487" followed by the K-symbol. Cable inlets are together and outlets are offset. If what you need isn't covered on the downtube, I'll post a picture of that.

Also, for the overbored headsets, they wouldn't have been able to repair them as they cut too much material out, not too little and they didn't follow the rule: Measure twice, cut once.

Attachments

• dropout.jpg
    dropout.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 627
Re:

Yeah, so basically AT were the first series in 1990, then after around 450 of those they switched to BAT. Maybe that signified a change in head tube machining process or something.

1991 were all Axxx, 1992 were ATT and then T for 93 and on.

Re:

thanks, I thought so by the "TG" but I wasn't completely sure. its been completely stripped of paint. I knew it wasn't an attitude or adroit because of the headtube but I just didn't want to get stuck buying a fervor.

that's why I really appreciate what you are doing. there is so much corruption out there that it can be really hard to spot real kleins anymore.

sounds like within the next few months someone can come here to retrobike with a questionable frame and research its origins - awesome bro

for your data, this is the gator pulse serial#(K)21PO295128 drive side of bottom bracket
inside the head tube serial# I (heart sign) CIN

Re:

I'm not sure if the MC1 is original as it has the newer 'Mission Control' decals, which are rubbing off.

I think the serial numbers are:

Frame: ADT000345
Strata: AR1FA

14480670114_558516dfe1_o_d.jpg

14502019373_d0189e2cc0_o_d.jpg

14502024183_18f31a8219_o_d.jpg

The latest number I have for 1992 is ADT000396, so 345 was getting close to the end and some transitional decals may have been starting to come in.

Hello

Just to add my numbers to the mix....

Klein Attitude XT Backfire bought on 8th January 1991

Frame Serial No. A12E

Fork Serial No. PT100D

..... :D

Back