dawes? yes or no?

Yeah that's cheating! Although let me tell you a story...

When Coventry Eagle was bought by Falcon, a bunch of the CE people split off and formed British Eagle based in Powys, I have a pretty cool BE from this period a fairly early coke can tubed monster but Falcon later bought them up too! All BSO brands now

But I have seen 'Holdsworth' mountain bikes... in fact I had one once for little while. These date form the early nineties while Holdswoth was bought out by Falcon in about '88. I never knew that I had essentially owned a Falcon MTB... I feel so dirty

It was called an 'Ultima' and had a reynolds 501 frame and 300LX bits, I used it commute on

So although these Holdsworh bikes aren't astonishing they are pretty much entry level/mid range as far as I can see... They are definitely not BSOs though, they are Reynolds 500/501 even 531 depending on model

Back to the thread topic!

Yeah Gerryattrick is right Dawes was like Clarks shoes or something...

But there are some great ones that spring to mind: Wildcat/Countryman/Ranger...

Re: Really?

hydorah":2go1ap5g said:
highlandsflyer":2go1ap5g said:
Falcon made some lovely bikes back in the day as well.

It is all cyclical.

I have, quite literally, never seen a decent Falcon MTB - but I would love to

- If anyone has a cool Falcon MTB, or a pic of one, please post it!

I remember Falcon Pro BMXs had the Edge (pardon the pun) on the lower model Raleigh Burners for a bit... But that's no recommendation

Made some lovely bikes they did. Never ridden a Falcon MTB myself, nor looked closely at one.

hamster":1bexp2ye said:
I think the reference to Falcon was about their 1950-60's road bikes.

Bang on! I will try to remember to append more information about what I am referring to in future.

One of the nicest racing bikes I ever rode was a CB. They made some nice mountain bikes as well.

I had a dawes hodron for a while it was far too small 14" but the frame was quite well made to be fair. Components were low rent to be fair but was an ace lil bike brilliant for messing about on like a big bmx :LOL: .

mighty dawes

so i have owned/still own, in no particular order, kona, klein, cannondale, carrera, raleigh, brompton, peugeot, marin, gt, specialized, british eagle, giant and dawes (and probably some others i cant recall)

dawes are in the top rank of them - especially early 90s mtbs. Heavy yes, but set up so sympathetically - especially as you get older, no over extension in the top tube here!

Was out on my Dawes escape today, towing a burley bee with two nippers in, in se England, to a well known pizza restaurant.....wtf I used to ride bikes...

Can't think of any better ride for the job. Class..

Always wanted an Edge back when I had a huge Wildcat. I seem to recall that back then 19.5" was the smallest size you could have. Wish I'd got that instead of the old geezer in Tower Cycles in Newton Abbot selling me one in 23.5" flavour!

Good solid things though, especially the high end ones.

Back