Dawes Galaxy

At 5'9" with a 22" Galaxy you should be fine ( I've restored 3 Galaxies so far ). The XC E gruppo sounds lush. Piccies of progress please!
Progress may be slow, I'm in no rush. I'll be doing stuff when time and funds are available.

I've waited 30+ years for one so a few more months won't hurt.😁

Spent the afternoon cleaning and refurbishing parts. Looks like the previous owner upgraded the brake blocks. Just waiting for the new straddle cables to arrive.
20220804_155407.jpg

Today has been a day of small victories. As well as a stuck seatpost the allen bolt on the saddle clamp was rounded so I couldn't remove the saddle. In the end I managed to cut a slot in it with a Dremmel. The bolt was also seized which explains why the bolt was rounded. Used a large screwdriver and Mole Grips with plenty of Plusgas. Took over an hour to get it off.
Nearly everything else has been refurbished ready for the rebuild once the seatpost is out.
Just got the wheels to do now.

Attachments

• 20220806_175127.jpg
    20220806_175127.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Reached a bit of an impasse with the Galaxy. The seatpost is still firmly stuck. I've heated it, frozen it, soaked it, hit it, swore at it and it refuses to move.
In the end I resorted to Caustic Soda. The problem is the replacement post fitted is so long and thick that so far it hasn't made much of an impression. All it has done is ruined the paint and stressed me out. I am seriously considering scrapping the frame and walking away.

Can you get a shorter seat post?

Or cut it down?

Where abouts are you perhaps someone local could sort it with you?

Reached a bit of an impasse with the Galaxy. The seatpost is still firmly stuck. I've heated it, frozen it, soaked it, hit it, swore at it and it refuses to move.
In the end I resorted to Caustic Soda. The problem is the replacement post fitted is so long and thick that so far it hasn't made much of an impression. All it has done is ruined the paint and stressed me out. I am seriously considering scrapping the frame and walking away.
How much length of the seatpost is in the frame? I've found ten mins with a round first cut file.."bastard" file! ...gets a good deep slot for the acid to really get going. Once it's through the wall thickness of the seatpost it'll get between post and seatube....that's where you really want the fizz to happen 👍

The post is at least half way down the seat tube. I suspect it's also too big and been forced in. Why they replaced the original is a mystery. I've walked away for now.
I have used Caustic before and vowed never to do it again, nasty stuff and not exactly eco friendly.
Cutting a slot is a good idea I might try that, although I'm still tempted to look for another frame.

The post is at least half way down the seat tube. I suspect it's also too big and been forced in. Why they replaced the original is a mystery. I've walked away for now.
I have used Caustic before and vowed never to do it again, nasty stuff and not exactly eco friendly.
Cutting a slot is a good idea I might try that, although I'm still tempted to look for another frame.
Oh ...it's that long....so it's a 400 mm long seatpost! Cutting the top off the post and going for the slot technique is a one way street...and thats a bit deep for a file.
But ...it's 15mins and might pay off!
If you've tried all the correct sciences then Brutus techniques are all that's left...worth a shot!

Back