Dawes Galaxy - 70's vintage

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
Hi there. I've stumbled on a green Dawes Galaxy on Craigslist. Its currently set up single speed, but its green, 531 tubing, chrome fork ends, center pull brakes, GB bars, looks like a lugged stem, horizontal drop outs and no rear mech hanger. They're asking $350 CDN. I'm thinking of taking a punt on it.

My sense is that its a mid lever sport touring bike. This is not a common brand over here - we have lots of old Raleigh's and Peugots and lots and lots of old Japanese bikes. What's the general consensus on this one?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bik/5527775184.html

Dawes Galaxy's have an almost cult following in the UK....often see them on ebay for £350 GBP.

It's in great condition and the imichrome decal is intact so why not

Re:

Muddy paw":1u4ftabt said:
Any time mate and let us know how you get on ..

I've been distracted by another shiny object - go look at the Alpina thread I posted shortly after this one. If that doesn't pan out I think I'll check out the Dawes. What brand/model of drive train and chain set would be period correct for that Dawes? I tend to think in terms of Japanese parts so thinking an SR Sake 110 BCD crankset and early generation Suntour Cyclone or VX mechs.

Your welcome mate and i agree that while cottered cranks would be in keeping with the period they are a mare when the pins stick and they also look very basic too so a crankset with a smoother finish would be the way to go ..

Back