Dawes Galaxy 58cm x 58cm Easy Restoration

The wheels bother me a bit. 58cm C-T would be ok for me but 27 Inch is not what I have a lot of parts for.
The smaller headtube is normal, a randonneur usually has a longer frontfork so larger tyres can be used. When you keep the toptube at it's usual spot, this means a shorter headtube.

fluroforks":2v83gual said:
Is that because of Christmas?

If I had a deposit on it I could keep it here for a couple of months if it helps.

No, I am on the sick from work and the government have refused sick pay. I have just sold a refurbed 1971 raleigh twenty and only got £45 for it. After all the work I done on it and all I spent on it, I lose out on some bikes I sell. Having a bike like yours would be for me and not to sell, but I just cant afford it. :oops:

Sorry to hear that Ian, and hope you're on the mend soon. It seems strangely ironic that the Gov' aren't paying sick pay but are handing out money for people to cycle to work.

The 27 inch wheel arrangement is a bit of a rarity but really, how many parts are different? The rims, tyres and guards.

fluroforks":3iu0s0ra said:
The 27 inch wheel arrangement is a bit of a rarity but really, how many parts are different? The rims, tyres and guards.

With caliper brakes 27 inch is not so much a problem, it's mostly within adjustment range. This frame has cantilever brakes so you have to stick to 27 inch. That might be still possible in Britain but on the continent this means only mail-orders from England can provide you with necessary spare parts.

You learn something new every day in this game. I was thinking the extra stopping power of the canti's would mean this was more desirable than a caliper braked version for most people.

fluroforks":3aoiqsk7 said:
You learn something new every day in this game. I was thinking the extra stopping power of the canti's would mean this was more desirable than a caliper braked version for most people.

It certainly has it's advantages, extra stopping power while using larger tyres is a main advantage. The disadvantage is that you have to stick to the rim dimensions as decided by the one who designed the frame.

Back