DAWES CX Reynolds 653 Custom - Seeking Information

Shimtournolo

Retro Newbie
Hi RetroBike - I'm new here so I hope this is the correct place to post.
I have a DAWES frame that I have long been intrigued about its heritage, I have trawled the internet to find out what model it is and have found nothing substantial so am hoping your greater knowledge may be able to help.
In my 20's despite being in Australia I developed a fondness for old British made bicycles, I have a Hetchins Scorpion Bonum and a Mercian path racer also. I had this frame shipped from the UK in approximately 2016 (it was obviously second hand at that time), regretfully in 2019 I sold it to purchase a Ti frame, I never really rode that Ti bike and a month ago I sold it. I never really forgot about my old Dawes so spent an astonishingly long amount of time going through all my old messages from various buying/selling accounts and found the person who I sold it to, incredibly they still had it and were happy to sell it back to me, I received it back about three days ago!
The few things that are particularly unique about this frame comparative to other Dawes are the brazed Dawes badge on the top tube near the seat tube cluster, the complete absence of any braze-ons for rack/mudguard mounting and the undrilled fork crown and seat stay bridges. It is very clearly a purpose made frame, it has a fair few dings and scratches now but it is clear this is how the frame was made and not a modified frame, the blue paint in the sun is spectacular.
A few other things that may aid in identification, the dropouts are Gipiemme, the BB shell is stamped closest to non-drive side chain stay: 94014916 and closest to down tube: 273LH72. If anyone can provide ANY information at all, I would be ever so grateful.
The last image is an old picture of how I had it built a few years back with Campy record 10 speed, Paul Comp neo-retro cantis and of course a black Brooks swift. I've just turned 40 so I think the new build will be less racelike with some upright bars and an old Shimano XT M730 groupset.
IMG_8952.jpeg IMG_8953.jpeg IMG_8954.jpeg IMG_8955.jpeg IMG_8955.jpeg IMG_8957.jpeg IMG_8957.jpeg IMG_8958.jpeg IMG_8959.jpeg IMG_8961.jpeg IMG_8967.jpeg IMG_0108.JPG

Welcome.

Very nice. No bottle cage either - proper CX race bike - no time to have a drink.

Perhaps a moderator should move this to the road section?

Welcome.

Very nice. No bottle cage either - proper CX race bike - no time to have a drink.

Perhaps a moderator should move this to the road section?
Thanks Woz. I honestly wasn't sure, it's more MTB than road bike but also neither. If it will get more attention in the road section then please by all means.

I have no doubt it will get more attention from knowledgeable people in the road section. Perhaps make a second thread over there?

Back