Dave Yates Diabolo “Mountain High”

You may have figured this out, but that "Mountain High" decal refers to a bike shop. Mountain High had outlets in Princes Risborough, Pangbourne, and I think one other, in the late 80s and 90s. The font is distinctive.

The PR location was my local and sold Trek, Alpinestars, Cannonball and Saracen at a minimum. They sourced some custom stuff for me BITD and may have brokered the deal on the Diablo, or potentially sold it old as a trade in.
That’s news to me - had no idea what mountain high referred to, though I assumed It wasn’t originally there as it’s done over the lacquer.

Anyhow - nice. I’m now reasonably local - Abingdon and I’ve swum in the river at Pangbourne.

Stem arrived - nice 4 bolt head plate that lets me use the Bonty bars. Found a RF chaining and just found reasonably matching other two rings courtesy of M-Power. Frame fork and bar going in for a respray Monday along with a couple of additional braze ons. Colour decisions are plaguing me somewhat! IMG_4345.jpeg

Frame back from the frame builders/ painters, quite a different shade of green to what I asked for tbh. Wasn’t keen at first but it’s grown on me. Also had second set of bottle cage drillings and rear upper rack eyelets added etc. Forks will be changed to the Columbus max style ones courtesy of Adrian, maybe painted to match these which are on their way 😁 IMG_4979.jpeg

Still not 100% sure if it fits me, it’s a bit higher and longer in the top tube than my go-to Daily rider but we’ll see when I get the right stem.

Will probably still go with the Nitto stem, looks right I think, need to chop off a whole bunch of steerer… or leave it high rise?? 😁

Any thoughts on choice of seatpost?

Bearing in mind this will be a rider. The Controltech is brand new so I’m reluctant to put it in the frame until I’m sure… the other one is a Nitto/Ritchey job. IMG_4984.jpeg
IMG_4986.jpeg

Any thoughts on choice of seatpost?

Bearing in mind this will be a rider. The Controltech is brand new so I’m reluctant to put it in the frame until I’m sure… the other one is a Nitto/Ritchey job.View attachment 768919
View attachment 768921
Paint job looks suberb..

As for the seatpost, as is the rule for bike tarts like me, seatpost always matches the stem and/or handlebar.

Paint job looks suberb..

As for the seatpost, as is the rule for bike tarts like me, seatpost always matches the stem and/or handlebar.
I was thinking of silver stem and black bars so potentially could match either!

But maybe you’re right, keep it all one or the other. Leaning towards silver.

Back