Dave Lloyd Fans

ritchie boyd

Retro Newbie
I've been asked to post, mainly because I was Dave Lloyd Painter and am responsible for some the bikes you've all been vote for for bike of the month and year.

I am willing to answer any questions regarding some of daves bikes.

I am currently re-establishing Phoenix bikes, the company I started after leaving Dave Lloyd, I am now based in Canada, I will be looking to start making bikes again by March 2014, I will be looking for shops and distributors in Europe, so guy keep an eye open for me.

Welcome to the site.
I'd like to know how many Cats Wiskas were built. There don't seem to be many knocking about.
Did he actually build them himself in their entirety? When I showed mine to a frame builder, he said "Lloydy can't build" and suggested that someone else built them for him.
Anyway, whoever built them, they ride very well and look good. :) This is not a current picture of mine. It's how it was in the summer. I've stripped it in anticipation of a more appropriate rebuild in the spring.

image_zpsd9518225.jpg

iveto1983":32idrpn5 said:
Welcome to the site.
I'd like to know how many Cats Wiskas were built. There don't seem to be many knocking about.
Did he actually build them himself in their entirety? When I showed mine to a frame builder, he said "Lloydy can't build" and suggested that someone else built them for him.
Anyway, whoever built them, they ride very well and look good. :) This is not a current picture of mine. It's how it was in the summer. I've stripped it in anticipation of a more appropriate rebuild in the spring.

image_zpsd9518225.jpg

Dave built the majority of his frames, by hand, using a file to miter every tube perfectly, I know this because I watched him do it. Your frame builder is talking out of their behind... Dave even though he had some crazy ideas on saving weight, I have to say Dave was an amazing frame builder.

As for How many CATS Dave made I dont know only Dave would have that information..I know I painted a lot of them...

I think your bike was after I left Dave Lloyd....check your frame number if it starts LL90, 91, 92 them its one of the ones I painted..if not then it was the guy after me.

Thanks for your answer. I had no reason to believe the person who told me that, but he seemed pretty certain and it has nagged at me for a while. Maybe it's an old rumour from a competitor that was repeated and taken as fact.

My serial is LL951012. Do you know what the format is? We assume that the first 2 digits are year of manufacture, but don't know what the other numbers mean. Are they numbers built sequentially? For how scarce they are, that number is too big. They don't appear to size related either. Maybe date the frame was completed?

Welcome to the site! Would love to know if you know anything about these two?

Also, any info on how many MTB derivatives DL built...

1st... later C.A.T.S.W.I.S.K.A.S

Secondly, Ti Road frame... frame is weird in that Ti was not really DL's thing and it has Italian BB threads... No serial number also. Would be great if you painted it - as it is a really nice job!

Here's mine, frame number LL92xxx.

It was recently resprayed by Argos in Bristol into pretty much the original colour. Both chain stays had to be replaced and at the same time I had the disc mount updated from a 90's Hope mount to a modern IS. I still have the original mount (and chainstay it was attached to). The only loss during the spray was the chrome on the drop outs and at the very top of the seatstays, which despite my imploring Argos to keep / repair it they told me it was not possible / economical.

Here's the frame when I got it.
DSC_0418_zpsae8488b1.jpg

Here it is before it's first ride.
DSC_0549_zps3a8acb03.jpg

And in comparison to Ringo's.

DSC_0549_zpsda037a20.jpg

Hi Ritchie,

Welcome to the site and thank you for your help earlier. Seems like you might have painted some of the most iconic bikes that Dave made in the early 90's. Do you know who painted the pink/purple Cats that was in the bike mags?

How was it working for Dave? Have you got any momentos from your time there?

Good luck with the new venture, I hope it goes well for you.

Gio

Neil

That shot of the two cats is epic...

Encapsulates the framebuilders art for me...

The most amazing thing is they both ride so well.

I would have expected yours to feel completely different, but the taller front triangle really has no detrimental effect and as I said at the time it is a quick steering, agile, light and fast ride. Mine is just a little more insane.... or perhaps that's the rider; it's not as compliant at the back and it's slightly more flicky, without (most importantly) being twitchy or unstable.

I would love to think there are plenty more Cats out there waiting to be discovered and rebuilt. I wouldn't mind another one myself, but one mustn't be greedy. :mrgreen:

Back