Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi retro friends,

I'm looking for some help about a problem I'm having with damp in the house.
My partner moved in last year, which meant cramming her belongings, furniture etc. into my place.
It's a mid terraced house with - I think - no cavity wall insulation.
Whilst going through things, Mrs Muz noticed dampness on the walls upstairs on the east side of the house. This has led to some of her furniture being damp, along with some of her clothes/shoes within it. She has spent the weekend trying to clean up walls, furniture etc. but now that she has, what next?
The heating has been on a lot more now we're living together, so I imagine this hasn't helped, along with the windows being closed. Counter-productive to have them open I guess.
Really seeking helpful advice from someone more knowledgeable than me, so we can sort the problem out.
Without me having to sell bikes to fund it, naturally :facepalm:

thanks,

Mike

Air flow is the thing. Even when cold and heating is on you still need flow around the house and through rooms. If stuff is against walls you get problems but did I mention air flow?

Also make sure guttering and overflows all ok. Nothing dripping down outside walls.

Re:

Hi mate
There is furniture against the bedroom walls affected, or there was until now. The rooms all have the doors open, so inside there's plenty of flow.
Would dehumidifiers help maybe?
Or just leave the windows slightly open?

Mike

Re:

air flow is the problem :D old houses had chimneys which flowed a lot off air but most have been removed and covered up should have vents have the vents been coverd up?

As has been mentioned it's airflow from inside to outside to help dry it out, plus showering with window closed means more moisture in the house. Opening the windows during the day even for an hour will help.

Let it flow, Let it flow....

Windows open a crack is a good move, Do you have double glazing? Some have grills above them that should be open.

Most problems don't require a dehumidifier unless it's really damp initially.

Re:

maybe you're having too much nookie? All that gruntin' and groanin', heavy breathing and sweaty endeavour doesn't 'alf produce some moisture!

Re:

There aren't any chimneys in the house.
No vents in the double glazed window frames either. The only vents are in the roof.
I do have a fan on when I'm in the shower, but I don't think it pushes air into the loft. I think there's insulation above it and below the loft flooring. May be part of the problem now thinking about it, or a small part of it.

Hadn't thought of that Reuben ! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

clean the walls properly to remove any mould or mess that may have developed, and open a window or 2. if the external walling has any cracks etc this will allow moiture to enter the internal skin thus developing damp walls. you really do air flow around buildings, old solid wall houses have very little but the old timber floor helped as air flowed through airbricks but not always on upper floor levels. a good idea is a small brick sized air vent in the walls, this allow air to flow getting rid of warm moisture fro the inside of you home. many have sliders which allow you to close them to stop unwanted drafts and cold entering, but seriously, ita all about the flow....man :)

Back