Cutting Steerer Tubes

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Is there an easy way to cut the unwanted length off a steerer tube?

The Mag21's I'm about to get from scant have a long steerer tube, and I will need to cut this down.

Now, I have only done it once, and used a hacksaw. Whilst I made a tidy job it was a bloody long winded faff!

Any comments, ideas??

I am toying with measuring the required length before I mount them on the bike, using an old stem as a guide, and angle grinding it. Is this a no go?

And whilst I have got your attention, the star nut. Any pointers for knowing how far to tap it down before cutting?

Cheers all :D

you could buy a threaded cutting guide back in the day,but aslong as its straight it will be ok,,always gonna be a pain in the arse

Pickle, fit a nice shiny new blade to a long none flexing hacksaw with the teeth facing forward and it'll be over in no time. You can buy a blade guide tool but they're not cheap (£30ish) If you have the new blade, clamp the steerer and take it easy you can get a nice even finish. Use a cyclindrical rasp to tidy up the burrs or if you don't have one sneak the knife sharpener from the kitchen drawer (as I've done three times now I really must get to the tool stall in the market!) :roll:

go to local hardware shop and pick up a plumber pipe cutter .

nice cut and easy .

cchris2lou":1fnq3ztc said:

nice cut and easy .

Does this really work? It's been a while since I cut one and I now have some nice pipe cutters, but only used them for copper so wasn't sure if they were up to it?

bennyboy":1tytpiaa said:
cchris2lou":1tytpiaa said:

nice cut and easy .

Does this really work? It's been a while since I cut one and I now have some nice pipe cutters, but only used them for copper so wasn't sure if they were up to it?

yep , I have cut a few like that .

cchris2lou":1cywolw7 said:
bennyboy":1cywolw7 said:
cchris2lou":1cywolw7 said:

nice cut and easy .

yep , I have cut a few like that .

:cool: Ta

Back