Cutting down a threaded steerer tube

mrcpea

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,
Haven't seen a thread on this, so thought I'd show you how I did mine.

First I measured the fork that came off my Dawes Galaxy after I'd taken off the crown race by tapping around the bottom of it with a long flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. I rested the top of the steerer tube on the garage floor when I did this as it's a solid surface.
Mark the place where you want the cut with a fine marker pen.
Check this measurement again to be sure (measure twice, cut once) you're cutting the correct length. You can measure more than twice like I did if you want :D

For the next step. I wound on a spare top race locknut (one of the knurled ones) I had kicking around, at the bottom of where the cut was to made and taped it with gaffer tape nice and tight in position. Then wound on another knurled locknut so my hacksaw blade would just pass through.

Now cut between the locknuts with a hacksaw. I put a new 24tpi blade in it just before cutting. Nice and steady does it :mrgreen:

After the cut was made, I ran a small file over the cut and on the inside of the steerer tube, to remove the burrs.
Untape your locknut, and the fork threads will be cleaned up nicely by the nut.

Put your crown race back on & put back on the bike.

Not sure how many will find this useful, but I'm pleased with the result :D

Sorry about the photos, I didn't take many, but should give you an Idea of how I did it.

Cheers

Rich :)

Ps.. Done some leather wrapped almarc style bars, will post photos if anyone's interested.

Attachments

• DSCF0032.JPG
    DSCF0032.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,082
  • DSCF0030.JPG
    DSCF0030.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,078
  • DSCF0029.JPG
    DSCF0029.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,078
  • DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 2,081
Hey Rich that is perfect! :)

And a perfect time to make your post. I'm planning on cutting down some Claud Butler forks this weekend and 'was' thinking of wrapping masking tape around the tube to try and help me cut squarely! This is a much better idea!

Re:

That's a lot to cut off! I was originally going to reply why not add spacers and preserve. Why do yo need to cut so much off? Your procedure was very well done BTW.

+1 admiring your simple but effective approach - very impressive. I've never done this, but, having read your guidance, would now contemplate buying chromed forks and cutting to fit as you've done here.

HW

@Rob
I'm so pleased that this will help you. You've helped me in the past no end with your superb builds (I love admiring them) and almarc leather bar wrap. Have your chromed pump pegs on the galaxy now... they look superb :)

@Old Yeller
I take your point about adding spacers, but I'd have needed to add over 50mm worth! They are not that expensive a fork, I bought them from bunkrupt bike parts from eBay ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bankrupt_bike_parts ). The bars are at just the right height for me :)

@Hillwalker
It really did work very well and like you say, so simple it's ridiculous. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Glad to have been some help on this excellent knowledgeable forum :)

Cheers

Rich :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Hi,
A helpfull tip.
Yesterday I did a slight variation on the theme.
Works perfectly. You can get a good grip on the steerer tube and push the stem down on the table.
Filing is also very easy this way.

Attachments

• stuurbuis afzagen.jpg
    stuurbuis afzagen.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,853
The real trick (as shown) is screwing something past where you need to cut and then unscrew it over the cut end :D

Shaun

Back