Current production hubs for retro MTB wheels? Novatec?

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I’m getting into building some wheels... got quite a few old hubs to service and build up but it would be nice to find some brand new hubs worthy of use in a fine retro mtb. Some of the novatec stuff looks cool, a bit like like older hope models.

I guess non-disc options these days would be marketed towards road applications, but possibly still retro mtb worthy?

Anyone got any experience/recommendations?

Or any modern “low end” kit that’s well built, capable and worthy?

Serenollie":1nt41wxs said:
I have a couple of sets of old Hope non disc Ti hubs, as well as their Pro 3 or Mono hubs in 135mm rear.

Thanks, not got an urgent need for parts, although I might be interested depending on price and condition... :xmas-wink:

Mostly interested in what’s available new. If anything...

I've heard that M760 XT was the last proper hub without downsized ball bearings, after that they're not that durable...not my experience but it could be true.

M670 LX hubs are a complete & horrible joke for the price, no less, they've betrayed their heritage big time at the Big S.

Novatechs are nice, if somewhat pricey hubs, if you are after top-notch ones. Miche is road-oriented, but with a bit of luck or skill the rears might be tuned to MTB width, some of their front hubs are tasty.

M56X, STX-RC, or M737-750-760 hubs do pop up from time to time on the market as NOS, might be worth grabbing them as future spares also.

XTR level commands silly prices, but even those can be found as sets sometimes.

Talking about NOS, some Ritcheys are nice too, can be had for cheap on fleabay and what about SRAM or WTB ?

Sorry, I've hijacked the thread, personally I've bought some black high-end (pricey, they were :facepalm: ) Novatechs for a no-compromise TI bike build, zero miles on them still, but nice ratchet noise, build quality, finish & much lighter than today's Deore XT.

Re:

All good stuff... I’ve seen some NOS Ritchey TR3s on eBay and wondered if they were any good.

Which novatecs did you buy? Couldn’t get my head around whether they had anything 135mm, 32 hole and non-disc. Other than the 130mm spacing the road hubs look good and decent value compared to well worn used hope/XT

Re:

I think the Novatecs are good value personally, nicely made, light and good freehubs/bearings. The A141 is 135mm, non disc, available in 32 hole black or silver. Let me know if you have trouble getting them, I can source them.

Re: Re:

Rod_Saetan":3cmxr82m said:
I think the Novatecs are good value personally, nicely made, light and good freehubs/bearings. The A141 is 135mm, non disc, available in 32 hole black or silver. Let me know if you have trouble getting them, I can source them.

Cool, thanks! I will drop you a pm at some point.

Back