Cost to ship a complete bike US to UK

Raumer

Devout Dirtbag
Apologies if this has already come up in a previous post, used the search function but couldn't find the info I need.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to send a complete bike via USPS from the US to UK. Have found a bike I like the look of and seller will ship to UK but seller is unsure what it may cost to ship. Also I have seen mentioned that I could well get hammered for import duty/tax. I assume this is a percentage of the total amount, how much is this percentage?

Bike will probably go out of my price range but thought I better work out total cost just in case it doesn't! :twisted:

Thanks
Ed

if you do a search on 'tax' or 'customs' there are quite a few threads I think. My understanding is whatever the cost of your bike add 50% to the buying cost to account for shipping/tax/duties.

yep - from experience $100 - $200 US for shipping a complete bike and then HMRC fees for import duty/vat based on the whole invoice value, including shipping cost!

Bike $1000 US, Shipping $200 US = $1200 US or approx £600. Expect to pay 17.5% VAT on this and about 8% import duty (from my expereince anyway)

Still can be worth it worthwhile though....

It get's a lot cheaper if the bike is split into two boxes, one for wheels and one for frame as the boxes then go down a USPS size catagory, from enormous to quite large!

Also, the import duty payable is at a lower rate for components than it is for a complete bike.

Ask them to split it.. into 2 boxes
Theres now size restrictions in place.Anything over 120cm in length and the price cranks up.
Asked if they'll mark it as a gift and put a lower value of say $50.
That the best you can do...unless your me :LOL:
J

pete_mcc":2ju7m732 said:
It get's a lot cheaper if the bike is split into two boxes, one for wheels and one for frame as the boxes then go down a USPS size catagory, from enormous to quite large!

mtb frames and wheels are so large that they need to go into the largest allowed boxes. usually the wheels will not fit into the box and need to be send seperately.

however, one can get a complete bike into one USPS conform box if it is not larger than medium size. the box needs to be custom made though. costs are around $150 incl. insurance. if split up into two boxes (which still need to be custom made to fit into the USPS size limites) it will be around $180.

that's a complete (wheels included) medium sized Merlin in there incl. an extra fork and extra parts. the box is 12" wide and i had to cut it to 36" length and less 24" height to keep it just below the 108" length + girth limit. went to europe for $140.

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

only problem is that it takes hours and hours to take the bike apart, build the box (if the seller has the skills and motivation) and pack everything securely. and then the drive to the post office and queing up there for an hour. i totally understand if a seller is not willing to do that and insists on UPS or FedEx who take larger boxes and even pick them up. costs will be $300-400 for a complete bike.

Carsten

ps. before anyone asks or pms me, the answer is NO ;)

Well, it's in line with the above but I paid $200 shipping for a complete bike plus two extra rear wheels and then was hit with about £150 for Customs, VAT (and a pathetic 'handling charge') and as Kev points out I had to pay VAT on the shipping cost too!

So, expensive but worth it for the bike I got

as is probably said above, but i don't have long enough to check...

basically:

UK Customs will add up the cost of bike (2nd hand or new it doesn't matter) + the cost of the shipping + the cost of any insurance on the shipping and tax that total at 14% (in the case of a bike) for duty. Then add that new total up and tax that new total at 17.5% for VAT.

It's cruel, but if the bike is important enough (as my dale cross bike was) then...

hope this helps.

Thanks everyone! :D Exactly the information I was after. Now just need to add it all up and work out how much I want to spend in total! :D

Back