COOLWALL! Was BIOPACE cool?

Were Biopace chainrings cool?

• What a pile of tripe - No! Totally uncool!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hey - not really bothered - maybe never used them?

• Yes - crikey why did Shimano stop? They were awesome - COOL!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
if it looks wrong, it likely is wrong.

and these looked so wrong

:shock:

'Shimano got it wrong''turn them round' etc..
Don't think there is a right for oval rings.

sorry

uncool

Just saw this on http://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

"People are often astonished to learn that I ride Biopace chainrings on fixed-gear bikes. They imagine that there will be tremendous changes in chain tension as the chainring rotates. In practice, this is not the case. A 42 tooth chainring will generally engage 21 teeth against 21 chain rollers, regardless of its shape".

"There is a sligth variation in tension resulting from the varying angle between the two straight runs of chain as the axis of the chainring rotates, but this has not generally been of a sufficient magnitude to cause any problem in practice for me".

I'll try this on my SS, as biopace rings are always in the bargin bin at my LBS.

I don't think most people noticed Biopace at the time (or would notice now). The negative press killed it - although Bio0pace II was so minimal it hardly looked unround. If your a pedal masher (think infrequent cyclist) then the theory is good in that it will make your riding smoother by removing the "dead-spot". Eggrings and rotor cranks etc work the opposite way in that they improve your power over the "active-zone" to the detriment of smoothness - so again, one for the pedal masher but working in a different way.

Round rings of course allow for a smooth pedalling style, and for those of us who spin (like Lance), round is best (IMHO) :D

Anyone remember watching the rear derailleur on your buds biopace who was riding ahead of you. I seem to remember it moving (tightening and slacking) with the biopace.

Thunderchild
www.urmb.org

These things looked awful and were even worse in use, very very uncool, so its a big NO for me.

Biopace

Unusually for Shimano, they made a mess of the idea! They got the ovoid in the wrong place relative to the crank angel. The new Rotor rings can be placed at any angle relative to crank position, as they are multi position, good idea and egg rings are still widely used.

Rubbish, have a 42 on my (road) singlespeed still, high cadence is not good at all.

I must run off and look for a round 42 now.

Latest posts

Back