COOLWALL! Was BIOPACE cool?

Were Biopace chainrings cool?

• What a pile of tripe - No! Totally uncool!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hey - not really bothered - maybe never used them?

• Yes - crikey why did Shimano stop? They were awesome - COOL!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lid":3akwdwof said:
WAS Biopace cool? Well yes it was.....when it first came out it was the next index/hyperglide/spd step forward by Shimano. Probably their first banana peel.

Oh no, they had loads of other duffer ideas over the years to try and reinvent things.

If I remember correctly they also tried (amongst other things):
1 Metric Chains (for the life of me, why?)
2 Freewheels on the chainset (great idea, if freewheeling, throwing the chain off will cause you to crash)

Biopace rings

cool? in a cult sense,i dont think so.however they appeared on a massive number of bikes and spares are available even now! so they dont fall short of popularity,durability,affodability,etc.
and afterall,retro! ;)

Biopace looked kind of cool - but were horrible horrible.

I nearly killed my left knee riding biopace in the early 90s - it got so bad every pedal stroke would send a shooting pain through it. I thought I'd have to give up cycling it was that bad.

As a last ditch attempt to fix it and on the suggestion of a mate I ended up dumping the outer ring and swapping the two inner ones for round Onza buzz saws. Result - it was "cured" within a week.

I have only ever ridden round rings since and no knee problems.

Greencat that is very strange but it of course did not happen to the hundreds of thousands of others that use/d these rings. In our litigeous society any hint of a problem and the lawyers will be all over it. (What was the name of the glasses from the Jerk?)

Thunderchild":35i3yzvy said:
Anyone remember watching the rear derailleur on your buds biopace who was riding ahead of you. I seem to remember it moving (tightening and slacking) with the biopace.

ummm no not at all.

A biopace ring is designed to keep consistant contact with the chain and as such can be run on a track bike (fixed)

the chin line moves up and down with the ovoid rings orientation but a rear dérailleur will not move perceptibly.

Now with this in mind it would explain how no real advantage could be gained with biopace.

On the flip side a more radical shape to the ring which would affect the rear dérailleur would if put in the right place have (potentially) a dramatic effect on performance.

no?

;]

Something is very wrong with the voting on this...

I mean, cool is, well, axiomatic. And Biopace, whether it had valid purpose, or not - most definitely was cool.

That's an unequivocal thing - can't be argued with, it just is. Biopace was cool.

Whether it worked well, or not is a separate issue, but cool-ness ain't about function.

So lets not have any more of this Biopace wasn't cool talk, it was, it is, and it always will be - who cares whether it worked or not - just like ED209 ;-)

totally agree with Neil ;)

just installed a set of Biopace 46-36-26T chainrings on the SR Sakae SX crank of my '92 GF Procaliber

can't wait to try it out tomorrow and gi'll certainly give my comments on it's function :D

Back