Cook Bros Cruiser

awh311

Dirt Disciple
I recently picked up a cook bros pro cruiser that someone was throwing away. Pretty stoked on the find. I don’t know too much about the old cook bros stuff. I am more of a mountain bike guy. It seems these are pretty sought after by the vintage Bmx crowd. It was set up as a mountain bike with gears and some pretty cool drum brakes. The radvist had a sweet article on one of these that was an early mountain bike and it seems that these were part of the early MTB history as well. It’s cool that the serial number is stamped on the side of the dropout. Its frame #456 Unfortunately, the drive side chainstay has a hole rusted in it. While I’m sure it can be fixed (apparently its straight guage tubing and the steel is pretty thick and strong around the hole) it’s a bummer to find a sweet old frame with that kinda damage. It seems like the bike would be worth taking to a frame builder and saving. I’m not sure what to do with this bike myself as it seems there are some people out there that are far more passionate about these bikes than I am. It seems that most guys want to restore them to a full vintage CBR spec. I don’t have that kinda cash and I more prefer turning my vintage bikes into funky pub bikes and gravel tourers. What would you all do with this bike? Take it to a frame builder and have them repair the hole with brazing or welding? Would you sell it on to someone who loves these old bikes as a collector.

Would love to hear what the community thinks. IMG_1596.jpeg IMG_1597.jpeg IMG_1587.jpeg IMG_1588.jpeg

AMAZING find. old Cooks Bros stuff is very well sort after. Real shame about the chainstay, but this could be fixed, but won't be cheap.

If you really like it, then get it repaired and keep it and use it. If you want to sell it, it has some lovely old components on it that are worth a lot of money on their own, but seems a shame to split it up, but that's because I'm a sentimental old fool!

There will be some real Cooks Bros experts on here though, I'm just very aware that's an awesome machine!

And this thread!!!

AMAZING find. old Cooks Bros stuff is very well sort after. Real shame about the chainstay, but this could be fixed, but won't be cheap.

If you really like it, then get it repaired and keep it and use it. If you want to sell it, it has some lovely old components on it that are worth a lot of money on their own, but seems a shame to split it up, but that's because I'm a sentimental old fool!

There will be some real Cooks Bros experts on here though, I'm just very aware that's an awesome machine!
It does seem a shame to split it up. Restoring it to some original glory has got to be the only way to go with a bike like this I would think.
And this thread!!!
I mean that bike is unbelievably cool with a dope story to go with it.

It does seem a shame to split it up. Restoring it to some original glory has got to be the only way to go with a bike like this I would think.

I mean that bike is unbelievably cool with a dope story to go with it.
There will no doubt be some Cook Bros experts on here as well as some specific Facebook groups (I'm not on FB so can't say for certain).

I'd keep 100% keep hold of it as that is one cool machine and you'd only regret selling it a few years down the line. Guess you'll be looking for some advice from a good frame builder on how best to repair/restore so you can ride this beauty and enjoy. 😍:cool:

There will no doubt be some Cook Bros experts on here as well as some specific Facebook groups (I'm not on FB so can't say for certain).

I'd keep 100% keep hold of it as that is one cool machine and you'd only regret selling it a few years down the line. Guess you'll be looking for some advice from a good frame builder on how best to repair/restore so you can ride this beauty and enjoy. 😍:cool:
Yea. So far I’ve been discussing the repair with Tony at breadwinner cycles.

If it doesn't "suit your style"... SELL IT! AND PAY OFF YOUR MORTGAGE!

The spring before last a complete CBR 3-bar ( in better shape with more Cook Bros. components) was sold on E-Bay for $68,000!!!!

Yes, you read correctly... $68K!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back