Converting 12spoke Shamal to Shimano 10 speed

pupp

Dirt Disciple
First post here (hi), so in at the deep end...

Have some 12 spoke Shamals that I run on a Harry Quinn with Shimano 8 speed driveline (cassette has been spaced for this). Wanna update the bike and fancy going Shimano 10 speed, anyone know if this is possible? Think 8 to 10 Campag is ok and maybe Campag 10 is close enough to Shimano 10 to work?

Grateful for any pointers

sadly Campy 10 and Shimano 10 are not close enough to work. In addition, Campy 10 speed cassettes will not fit on an 8 speed Campy hub.

The easy way would be to rebuild the rear wheel around a Shim compatible 9/10 speed hub.

Failing that, Campy make a 9/10 speed hub body that will fit your Shamal hub (but would cost much more than the Shimano option)

if you want to mix and max stuff look at the J-Tek Shiftmate range to make it all work together.

Finally, if you are considering Shimano also look at Sram. the Rival group is much better that 105 or Ultegra and cheaper too. If you can find a 2008 group, the silver finish looks good on retro frames too :)

Andy

i have a set of vento's that are 8 speed and i run a 9speed marchisio cassette on that, it works fine, they are imported by a company called RSI, same people who do all the Ambrosio bikes, rims etc.

the marchisio sprockets are basically problem solvers for people like us who refuse to stop using old stuff! i'm not saying it is definately possible but it's got to be worth a look. the sprockets work by having a carrier that fits the hub with a sprocket of the correct width for the system you want then fits on the carrier then a spacer the right width then another carrier, sprocket and spacer etc, the idea being that you can get carriers to fit different hubs and then space them for the system you use therefore being able to mix and match brands etc.

i think it will work because my wheels being 8speed but running 9 and my 9speed wheels run 10 aswel although this is all campag but i don't see why the shimano set up wouldn't work, with marchisio you would just use different spacers, the sprockets and carriers would be the same regardless of whether you run campag or shimano.

just find a dealer who has an acount with RSI or check this out. i used to deal with a guy there called martin when i was in the trade, always very helpful.

http://www.ambrosio.co.uk/contact_us.htm

hope that helps, that is their website but i didn't see the cassettes i was talking about, give them a ring, i should add that the cassettes are about £100 but they last ages, mine is about 6 years old and still going strong, but i got one for a customer less than a year ago when i was still in the trade.

:D

Back