Component compatibility?

PhilGee

Retro Newbie
Can anyone point me in right direction for somewhere that may list compatibility of various bike components? Mainly gears/shifting. I'm looking at stripping my bike of tired parts and replacing with uprated bits. My main aim is to remove the MTB gear set-up (21 spd) and using a more road geared set-up but not sure on chainsets/cassettes, chains, mechs, shifters etc and will they fit on my original wheels/freewheel?
Thanks in advance, Phil .

you may want to fit a narrower BB.

Other wise i've not found any problems fitting road parts on to a mtb. But i've only done it on a 2005 frame.

That will be getting done too! little bit of wear in that. Will have to get the old measuring devices out to see whats what on my frame. Its an early 90's diamond back so things have prob changed a bit in the 20 odd years.

some things haven't changed that much. Thankfully.
your BB is probably 68 or 72 wide. Plenty out there.
Some are trying to flog this BB30 crap. But it will die like the rest of the hyper new shit

What size is your headset? 1'' are getting harder to find.

1 1/8th headset. That's one thing that's recently been done so no worries there. Been looking at road gear setup. Could spend a bloody fortune!

Depends in part on how far you want to go! A road cassette (or freewheel) not a problem. If current big ring is say only a 42T, then can go up to 48T without changing e'g' front mech (or shifters). Full blown >21 speed pur road all round more expensive!

Back