Completely new to this.

Gewbs

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I am completely new to the road cycling world and have recently acquired this bike (sorry for the terrible phone camera quality)

IMG-20120403-WA0000.jpg

I don't even know how old this bike is.

I was looking at replacing the tyres and possibly wheels, but I don't have a clue where to start looking for replacements. I'm not necessarily looking to replace with original parts, but preferably something new/er (for better performance).

I'm lost, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be grand.

Would I need to look for old style wheels or are the newer ones also compatible?

Thanks

This looks mid-late 70s. The wheels are probably 27 x 1 1/4" (it will say either on the rims or on the sidewall of the tyres). Modern wheels are 700c which is similar, but the rims are slightly smaller diameter. This is fine, as the difference is only a few mm, but can cause a problem with brake reach --- there is often not enough scope to lower the brake blocks enough to hit the rims. It looks like you might get away with it on the back brake, but the front looks close to the limit as it is.

You can still get 27 x 1 1/4" rim wheels, but they're not that common so there isn't a lot of choice. Your tyre choice is pretty restricted too.
If you need to change from 27" to 700C, you can buy longer-reach brake calipers. There are reasonably priced ones made by Tektro and Alhonga, which would be a definite step up from what you have on there now.

The other thing to consider is that the rear end is probably spaced for a 5 speed freewheel, which is probably 120mm between the drop outs (internally). Modern hubs are spaced to 130mm. During the 80s and early 90s, the standard went through 126mm for 7 speed freewheels.On a steel frame like this, you can squeeze a slightly wider hub in (so if it is 120, you could squeeze a 126 in). Not ideal, but possible and it won't damage the frame. A 130 would be pushing it though. You can get the spacing reset by any good bike shop if necessary (one who can check the frame alignment).

Hope this helps,
Nick

Fab, thanks Nick. I'll check it out when I'm back from work so I can start looking :)

Thanks Dead Rats I'll have a look later and see if I can see.

Another question I had is should I change out the current brake levers with suicide levers on for newer ones, or are they generally safe and usable?

The suicide levers are pretty much useless. The primary levers should be OK though. Swapping for normal levers would give you the option of having rubber hoods on the levers, which provides a comfortable riding position option. Old Weinmann would be appropriate for the bike, and easy to find. More difficult to find ones with good hoods, as they perish, but replacement hoods are available.
Nick

Back