colnago master olympic, 56cm sale or swap modern carbon.

Ah, I'm forgetting, you can swap forks/headset to aheadset can't you....

Hopefully this very minor 'hijack' and example of a lovely Master will have prompted the OP not to sell his frame !

OP must be bonkers to consider parting with his Colnago - sort of thing that you dont realise what you have until you have parted with it

(Apologies dont know full circumstances etc - but felt something had to be said...)

colnago

Hi.
Before parting with this can I suggest you do a bit of research.If you take the weight of your frame and fork and substitute the weight of a carbon frame and fork you may be surprised at how little the difference is.Most of the weight is in the components and if you are only swapping the frame you may find you are not a lot better of.I have a 23" 531 road frame with a standard flat top tube. Not even convinced it is butted tubes. Looks big and heavy to me so I bought a Kona Kapu here on the forum. Its much smaller with sloping top tube and is in very lightweight columbus genius steel with short butting to the tubes. very nice and glad I bought it but the total weight saving is only one pound four ounces.Not a hugh amount in the total weight of the bike and for something like that you will be swapping that superb frame for a mass produced lump of plastic.There is also another consideration. Your Colnago will have perfect frame alignment. Even if it was slightly out it can be re set. Most mass produced frames work to given tolerances so it is rare to find one totally aligned and you can feel that in the frames response when sprinting. If a carbon frame is out you cant do a thing about it. If it was me I would do what has been suggested and buy a set of quality sprints and tubs for the Colnago.It will make far more difference than going carbon and you will keep the quality of build and Colnago finish

Regards
Peter

You guys are doing a great job of changing my mind! I polished it up today and I forgot how nice it looks! The main reason I would keep it is because it will always be a 'special' bike where as pretty much any modern will become dated at some point (as the master ounce was) but wont gain the status the master now has? maybe some choice upgrades would give it more zip? just wonder if carbon cranks and fancy wheels would look out of place?

colnago.

Go for the wheels. Its the rotating mass that either kills it or brings it alive. I read somewhere that aero wheels dont start to pay back until you reach around 30mph and since a lot of them are heavy I am not convinced that is the way to go(Not unless you are into 20 minute 10s ).There is a list of component weights at Sheldon Browns site so you can compare stuff. Best of luck with it .Very envious
regards
Peter

My 2c worth:

Beg, borrow or steal a carbon bike then race it and the 'nag alternatively across identical courses. If there is a definite performance advantage to using the carbon, then fill your boots and buy one.

BUT, don't ever sell the 'nag! You will never look at the carbon thing on a sunny sunday morning and think, "I'm going to take that beauty out for a spin now", and you will never get the sense of pride and sheer joy that you get from just admiring the quality of that fine steel frame, let alone flying along your favourite roads on it.

If I were you, I'd buy I big fat heavy old tank of a bike to train on for next to nothing. An old touring bike springs to mind. Do all your winter miles on this then race the nuts of the 'nag come spring. This will put you at a distinct advantage as most folk I see "training"or on club runs these days are doing so unnecessarily on sub 20lb bikes.

This is the wrong forum to ask for unbiased advice / support to swap a classic steel frame for a modern carbon bike / frame.... :D

Go to weight weenies and ask there as well... but they will probably just tell you all of the components you could build the Colnago with to make it lighter...

I have to admit - I have had similar thoughts to yours - but I am not going to sell a classic to test the theory. I might save up and try the right carbon bike - ... then again by the time I save up I might just get another steel / titanium one.

Keep the Colnago - try a carbon - check out performance difference and then make up your mind.

good luck

Hmmm... A conundrum!

I agree 100% with keeping your Colnago, I'm sure that given a few months you will think about it and regret getting rid of it and then you'll struggle to replace it! However another thing to consider...
I raced yesterday and was brought down (along with several others) the result is broken carbon fibre forks, yeah they can be replaced but chances are you won't be able to replace your Colnago if it's damaged in a race!

Personally, I would keep the Colnago and invest in a a race bike that won't break the bank or your heart if it gets smashed up. Your call!

aye, don't get rid of it bert!! your colnago will always be classy and why be like the rest of the modern cyclists with their non descript oversized plastic looking machines. the colnago was one of the most beautiful frames ever made.

and it's only going to INCREASE in value too!

nice one.

:)

KEEP IT KEEP IT KEEP IT! You really don't want to get rid of it and have some ugly plastic monstrosity in it's place.

Back