Colnago Master Crono

dobermann

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone!! Im Raj, from Singapore. Glad be here...🤗
So, i finally managed to get my grail Master Crono.. in my size and unique original paintwork. 😘

Its story is.. was a showroom frameset at a Colnago dealer in Australia. A triathlete built it up as seen here ( yes those are the original Zipps with Ballistic hubs!) and didnt use it much. Then a fellow Singaporean got it, raced a few times but it didnt quite fit him. He brought it back here to Singapore, and was sold to a bike enthusiast from South Africa! He in turn displayed it at home, and wanted restore it up, but.. i managed to get hold of it!

I love this bike! But its not easy to ride in that very low position, heavy front. Im 52, was actually in hospitals half the year..had surgeries on my foot too, and only now able to start pedalling again slowly.
I got this baby to inspire me, and as my reward too!

For now, Im changing the bars to 3TTT Moscows, and get a 3T quill. Saddle to a NOS Rolls. Remove those saddle cages.. Keeping the wheels, as they are rare, but replacing front 650c tire to a similar Vittoria.

But next..am pondering.. while still using the current groupset ( ultegra 9 speed ) and find some downtube shifters..

OPTION A
to slowly assemble early 90s Campag C record, Chorus..whatever i can find here.. of cos 1 day a pair of Deltas perhaps!
But theres gonna be headaches in sourcing the 7 or 8 speed freewheel, chain, square taper BB, ..and will need use friction downtube shifters ( or use friction setting on Syncros)

OPTION B
Go with a modern Campy Record or Chorus mechanical rim brake groupset. But issue might be in using the shift/brake levers on the Moscow bars.. i guess it could work, just need adjust my hands! And besides, im not going to race this baby.. but will be nice to ride it too

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts are appreciated!
Viva Colnago! 💥

Attachments

• 20240919_222131.jpg
    20240919_222131.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240919_222149.jpg
    20240919_222149.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240919_222202.jpg
    20240919_222202.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240915_163126.jpg
    20240915_163126.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 8
Nice project!

Bar ends shifters are pretty good on those bars
Ergos and STIs are not! The hand angle is all wrong and the cabling can be unpleasant.

I assume your freehub is shimano hg?
In which case you can get a shimano cassette set to work pretty well with campag 8 or 9 with a little playing with the spacers. shimano cassettes are easy to source and have a lot of options.

Sheldonbrown web pages have details of the different cassette spacings.

Delta brakes look great but are expensive, horrible to set up and don't work very well😉

Thank you

If using Ergos, will be on the 3T Moscows.. am not sure if you meant using bar end shifters on them :)

Deltas..agreed..but its always been my grail brakes too!

Nice project!

Bar ends shifters are pretty good on those bars
Ergos and STIs are not! The hand angle is all wrong and the cabling can be unpleasant.

I assume your freehub is shimano hg?
In which case you can get a shimano cassette set to work pretty well with campag 8 or 9 with a little playing with the spacers. shimano cassettes are easy to source and have a lot of options.

Sheldonbrown web pages have details of the different cassette spacings.

Delta brakes look great but are expensive, horrible to set up and don't work very well😉
Oh.. if going with C Record, Chorus.. i think its limited to 7 speed?

Back