Coast 2 coast hints and tips

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
It all started in the pub.....

Any way, myself and two freinds have decided to have a crack at the coast to coast in the last week of august, were not going for records and will probably book 5 days off work giving us a weekend at each end for prep/recovery. I havnt done any distance riding for over 10 years so it will no doubt be interesting.

Any one have any hints and tips?

Cheap accomodation?

Stuff to carry?

good stop to stop luggage shifting company?

10 week Training schedules?

.......pubs!

Hi, just done Coast & CAstles, Edinburgh to Newcastle run in three days and happy to share thoughts on "happy touring".

Wear plenty sunslap (factor 30+)
Drink before you feel thirsty
Eat in the same way
Do not rely on dextrose tabs, sweets or lucozade products to get you by
Good wholesome savouries are essential (not too greasy pies though)
Carry nothing on your back you'll feel much better

As for pubs avoid the plastic "Pitcher & Pumpkin" pubs on Newcastle Quayside and stop instead in Newburn, just before the Wylam Wagonway section, at the Keelman's Arms. The Big Lamp Micro Brewery in next door and the ale is delicious. Avoid the Prince Bishop 12% unless you can wobble your way to the coast!

Enjoy, hope the weather holds for you.

I've just done the 130+ miles Whitehaven to Sunderland in three days this weekend, using pre-booked B&Bs with suitable bike storage and carrying everything with us. The other guys had done it twice before, but this was the first one for me.

The worst thing is the painful backside from sitting down so much, which the extra weight of the backpack probably didn't help with. We only had to stop on hills to ease the pain rather than from being too tired. I'd recommend water bottles over camelbaks to reduce the weight being carried, and attach as much as possible to the bike.

Took suncream and plenty of tools but didn't need any of it. In previous years the other guys had lots of punctures but we were lucky this time.

Make sure to take some warm clothing, as the weather can change quickly higher up on the fells/moors.

On this route there were plenty of cafes and cake shops so we didn't really need to carry any food with us, just drinks and the odd snack.

Don't split the route up just based on distance. The first day of 57 miles was a lot easier than the second day of 34 miles, due to several long climbs.

Have fun!

There is a nice little guidebook by some folk called "Excellent Guides" which is very good. I did it 12 years ago - it's a great route.

Back