Clipless with dodgy knees?

And, if you don't already, make sure you do a load of stretching to improve flexibility in your calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes. This can make a massive difference

2 snapped cruciates and associated damage and I have used bontys for 10 years with no problems, could be that you need to make sure you fit the bike spot on.

I have a particularly dodgy knee due to a bad fracture (motorcycle accident when I was 20) which still has pin and plate in it.

I find that not using spd's makes things worse as I am constantly thinking about foot position on pedal.

Shimano pedals have always been perfect for me, loads of float and relives pressure on knee as foot is always in correct postion :)

Hi,with any clipless pedal setup is crucial,up until this year I have been doing about 15000miles a year on spd sl road pedals and spd mtb pedals,I have used other brands but they don't seem to last as long.Make sure the ball of your foot is over the pedal axle and that your feet are positioned how they hang naturally,also take into account your saddle height,too high and you'll be stretching for the pedals causing your knees to twist.Hope this is helpful,why have I cut back on the mileage this year? Knee surgery,doh!

Russell":m8x1ra8u said:
Time pedals. Loads of float, too much for a lot of people but great for riders with dodgy knees.

I second this...Time ATAC pedals are all I used for a few years when I had knee problems.

My knees aren't brilliant but I get on ok with modern Shimano spd's. You're local to me so if you want to try some out holler via PM and we'll sort something.

Cheers

Paddy

Cheers for all the suggestions. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is without a doubt the best place for bike advice and theres no sniping or whatever, everyone is genuinely really cool and helpful :D

I've found some Time 'Z Control' which seem to fit the bill in terms of having a large platform so I think I'll order a pair up and see how I get on :)

Rich

Latest posts

Back