Claud Butler International Club model #1 (c1949) Clapham

rickjuggins

Retro Newbie
Claud Butler International Club model No1 (c 1949) Clapham Built

Cycle bought by me in November 1949 in Leeds.
Original paintwork and badges
Reynolds 531 tubing frame and forks
25" frame number 507/4111
27" Dunlop special lightweight stainless road racing wheels rebuilt in 1990, replaced with Mavic hubs.
Five speed Campagnolo gear change
Maes bend handlebars
GB brakes
Williams peddle set
Brooks professional saddle

PM me or post here to discuss. Reluctant sale. Excellent bike as seen or fantastic reconditioning project. All in good order. GBP 500

Attachments

• Claud Butler.jpg
    Claud Butler.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,917
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,895
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,894
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,894
grumpycommuter":10eet4f9 said:
Nice bike...i have a 1950 International Club frame and fork set which i've bodged together. It was stripped of paint when i bought it but when i removed the headbadge a lovely royal blue was revealed, just like yours. Now i know what it probably looked like...cheers :D

P.s you need to stick a price on here as per - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17697

Thank you, i haven't seen many others around. It's been a good friend for 63 years. I'm sure she has many years left in her. Thank you for pointing out rules and guidance.

rickjuggins":20m9nlfg said:
grumpycommuter":20m9nlfg said:
Nice bike...i have a 1950 International Club frame and fork set which i've bodged together. It was stripped of paint when i bought it but when i removed the headbadge a lovely royal blue was revealed, just like yours. Now i know what it probably looked like...cheers :D

P.s you need to stick a price on here as per - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17697

Thank you, i haven't seen many others around. It's been a good friend for 63 years. I'm sure she has many years left in her. Thank you for pointing out rules and guidance.

No problem...it's a thing of beauty. Hope you find a good home for it.

Karl

grumpycommuter":29ey4f1o said:
Still got it then? When I bought it, half the paint was missing, but it still had the remnants of the box lining seen on the bike above.

Bump for a really nice bike.

frinkmakesyouthink":2818jrep said:
grumpycommuter":2818jrep said:
Still got it then? When I bought it, half the paint was missing, but it still had the remnants of the box lining seen on the bike above.

Bump for a really nice bike.

Yep still got..it's use has slowly changed over the months from a sunny day commuter to an out and out training bike. I'll whack a piccy on when i get a minute. Despite my best efforts the rust is returning again so i'm saving up some pennies to get it repainted :roll:

Another free bump!!

Great to see a lugless CB in unrestored condition, clearly showing the original transfers and lining.

I think your memory may be a year out though. The frame number indicates that it was built in July 1950.

Good luck with the sale, but I fear that you may have to lower your sights a bit. For some reason the fillet brazed Clauds have yet to attain the same values as the lugged and bilam versions.

I have a 1953 lugless road/track model. I can testify to their beauty. The filet brazing is stunning. Perhaps even more skilled than the lugged and bi-lam models! If you look at the likes of Mercian's prices you'll see the lugless ones are actually one of the more expensive models these days. Mine's not original finish sadly, needs a good restoration. Anyway, lovely bike, and good luck with the sale.

Back