Claud Butler identification

Sww

Retro Newbie
I am completely new to this forum so bear with my ignorance. I am looking for as much info and opinions as possible on this Claud Butler which I picked up second hand with the notion of a restoration project in mind. All I have done to date is to replace the tyres which were well and truly worn. I managed to find and decipher the frame number and enclosed is a picture. It looks like 5212 and below 5310. I have included some other photos of the bike which may be helpful. I have also rubbed down the rust on the metal in some areas and it looks like there is the one layer from which I am guessing it must have its original colour or had a pretty professional respray. There is a decal near the saddle lug which reads "Reynolds 531 cycle tube respray..."
Advice, opinion and information all gladly appreciated

1000006986.jpg 1000006980.jpg 1000006983.jpg 1000006981.jpg 1000006985.jpg

Correction the dates are 5212 and 5210. Does this mean it was manufactured between Oct 1952 and Dec 1952?

Correction the dates are 5212 and 5210. Does this mean it was manufactured between Oct 1952 and Dec 1952?
5212 = 1952 December
5210 = that years frame count

I’ll have a closer later for an actual ID
Paint and graphics all definitely not original

Ok, so it’s a “New Allrounder”
Lower-midrange or upper-bottom range depending on what kit would have been selected by the original purchaser.
This was the best (more expensive) of the bottom three in that years range with plain 531 tubing (as opposed to thinner/lighter double butted in the more expensive models)
Still a cracking bike though compared to most off the peg bikes at the period.
Unfortunately almost nothing on the bike is original apart from maybe the seat post, steering stem and handlebars.
If you want a list of correct decals that are available from H Lloyds, I’ll happily add them on this thread.
Chris
IMG_4524.jpeg

Ok, so it’s a “New Allrounder”
Lower-midrange or upper-bottom range depending on what kit would have been selected by the original purchaser.
This was the best (more expensive) of the bottom three in that years range with plain 531 tubing (as opposed to thinner/lighter double butted in the more expensive models)
Still a cracking bike though compared to most off the peg bikes at the period.
Unfortunately almost nothing on the bike is original apart from maybe the seat post, steering stem and handlebars.
If you want a list of correct decals that are available from H Lloyds, I’ll happily add them on this thread.
Chris
View attachment 880108
Many thanks Chris. Your research is much appreciated and has certainly fired a desire to try and restore this bike. The thread for the right decals would be welcome. I have already have looked at the Lloyds site, but I have tried to replicate the decals on the bike which, as you point out, are probably not the originals.

Back