Claud Butler help needed

Re: Re:

keithglos":1mrwttvc said:
26.4 makes the tubing plain 531, not butted, probably 3 main tubes only.
When I sold Holdsworthy frames in the 50 /60s they also used some Reynolds grade A drawn tubing, rather than seam welded, cant say what this has, but it might be possible to look inside a chainstay from the bottom bracket to find a seam or not.

Keith

Thanks for the info Keith, just checked the chain stay, there is a seam.
Andy

I think regardless of tubing or being a Holdsworthy model or not its a very smart looking frame and all things considered is very nicely built. So with regards to your original post, if it fits you then I would love it rather than list it :)
Just my opinion of course.

Jamie

Funny you should say that Shaun, I have an Electron frame in my loft but I must say it looks nowhere near as nice as this. Mine has 531 forks only and the lugs look fairly ordinary next to this. I think mine is late 60's maybe early 70's from memory.
I was given it by Dave in macretro as he thought it was about my size. It has been in the loft for a good few years now. I did go to get it down to do something with it only to discover when I went in the loft and got a look at it from underneath, I noticed a slight bit of paint off just near the top of the downtube, underneath near the head tube. Closer inspection showed a ripple, very slight, but still, a ripple. I could then feel a very slight deformation on the top tube, again just slight. A front ender by the looks of it. To be honest it is barely noticeable and probably not noticed when riding it is so slight, but still, it took the motivation out of it for me, so in the loft it sits. It was in a rough and sorry state when I got it, one day I might try and sort it.
Sorry sidetracked a bit :)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":4j2r41vr said:
I think regardless of tubing or being a Holdsworthy model or not its a very smart looking frame and all things considered is very nicely built. So with regards to your original post, if it fits you then I would love it rather than list it :)
Just my opinion of course.

Jamie
I shoved some 700c wheels on last summer with a 5 speed freewheel a enjoyed riding it but was not happy with the look of the smaller wheels (25mm) and long reach brake. I have a nice pair Gipiemme Sprint hubs and a nice Regina 14/31 6 speed freewheel so may look for some 27inch rims and have ago at cold setting the rear dropouts, with a few to a full repaint in the future.

Jamiedyer":2mgf12q6 said:
Sounds like its staying for a while longer then :)

Jamie
Yes but I don't like clamp on shifters etc, so have to look at the cost of frame modifications. At least shifter mounts, a bottle mount and cable guides over the bottom bracket plus repaint. I might have to be a long term rolling rebuild. Also I'm not sure about what to fit it with, currently thinking along the lines of Shimano 105 on the basis of cost and availability.

Back