Claud Butler - Carpenter - Vintage Bike - Wheel Help

Potentially this is just a version of the coronation frame that has over the years had a few changes to it. Looking at some of the photos of the grandad it looks like when he raced he obviously didn't use mudguards, so maybe he adapted the bike to run 27 x 1 1/4 for this purpose although still doesn't really make sense that the front and back calipers are seemingly for two different rim sizes 🤦

Potentially this is just a version of the coronation frame that has over the years had a few changes to it. Looking at some of the photos of the grandad it looks like when he raced he obviously didn't use mudguards, so maybe he adapted the bike to run 27 x 1 1/4 for this purpose although still doesn't really make sense that the front and back calipers are seemingly for two different rim sizes 🤦
Agreed, the only fly in the ointment is the Coronation was not 531, yet yours has a 531 transfer. Could you get a good shot of the transfer? Does the transfer show in the photo of Grandad racing? Any other historic pics? Sorry for all the questions o_O He possibly only used/raced with a back brake, many bikes of the 30s only came with a back brake.

Agreed, the only fly in the ointment is the Coronation was not 531, yet yours has a 531 transfer. Could you get a good shot of the transfer? Does the transfer show in the photo of Grandad racing? Any other historic pics? Sorry for all the questions o_O He possibly only used/raced with a back brake, many bikes of the 30s only came with a back brake.
When my boys gone to bed I'll attempt to get a few close ups of the transfers and the main badge etc.

To be honest the photos you really can't seem much detail on the frames at all. It was why I originally leaned towards the CB because the detailing on the frame was all fine linework which would have easily been hidden in the black and white. But then looking at the crank set closer I don't think it's the same bike anymore so I'm back to being lost haha

Attachments

• IMG-20230303-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20230303-WA0009.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 17
When my boys gone to bed I'll attempt to get a few close ups of the transfers and the main badge etc.

To be honest the photos you really can't seem much detail on the frames at all. It was why I originally leaned towards the CB because the detailing on the frame was all fine linework which would have easily been hidden in the black and white. But then looking at the crank set closer I don't think it's the same bike anymore so I'm back to being lost haha
A different bike to the Claud, it has lugs just visible on the head tube. What a picture! Shows the extreme focus needed to race, wonderful. @Woz The Carpenter is a top end frameset, up there with the best builders, far superior to the Claud and that is gorgeous. Wish I still had my Carpenter.

• Love
Reactions: Woz
Seems I've both managed to get my hands on some quality bikes whilst also being well out of my depth 🤣, is there any resources similar to the Claud butler website but for the carpenters? Or were they so bespoke that a catalogue was not even an option back then?

Seems I've both managed to get my hands on some quality bikes whilst also being well out of my depth 🤣, is there any resources similar to the Claud butler website but for the carpenters? Or were they so bespoke that a catalogue was not even an option back then?
Short answer yes. Here is something to get you going. I would probably saw a couple of fingers off for the Carpenter :)

Back