Claud Butler - Carpenter - Vintage Bike - Wheel Help

If it was built for 26" then on 27" the handling will be a bit 'unusual' (so to speak). When I wrecked my work bike back in the 70s (a Claud by coincidence) I put all the parts onto my father's old 1950's Raleigh and built a new 27" front wheel for it. It's wasn't a pleasant bike to ride any real distance.

On the first page you have what appears to be a complete set of Mavic Sprint rims (which are 700C size like modern wheels today), but only one tubular glued on the rear. If this is not punctured, you could remove it from the rear and try it on the front wheel just temporarily. Pop the front wheel in the forks, check the clearance and if the pads can adjust.

That will help to decide what kind of tyre and rim size going forward.

While I can't be sure, it may be difficult to source 26 x 1 1/4 wheels these days.

If it was built for 26" then on 27" the handling will be a bit 'unusual' (so to speak). When I wrecked my work bike back in the 70s (a Claud by coincidence) I put all the parts onto my father's old 1950's Raleigh and built a new 27" front wheel for it. It's wasn't a pleasant bike to ride any real distance.
Geometry will be wrong as you say

For gauging prices for 26" rims what would people suspect the price for 2 rims, and rebuild of wheels on the original hubs?

Any example vintage brand/model names to look for on eBay etc?

On the first page you have what appears to be a complete set of Mavic Sprint rims (which are 700C size like modern wheels today), but only one tubular glued on the rear. If this is not punctured, you could remove it from the rear and try it on the front wheel just temporarily. Pop the front wheel in the forks, check the clearance and if the pads can adjust.

That will help to decide what kind of tyre and rim size going forward.

While I can't be sure, it may be difficult to source 26 x 1 1/4 wheels these days.
Woz, I measured all the rims including the Mavic and they all seemed to measure at iso 630 which would indicate 27 1 1/4?

I'll have to do a remeasure just in case my brain had a minor lapse of common sense which is quite possible.

27" x 1 1/4" in metric is 630 x 32
700c is 622 x whatever in mm
26" x 1 1/4" is 597 x 32

This 26" x 1 1/4" size falls right in a "no mans land" today. Going smaller gives this if I got it right:

26 x 1 3/8 (E.A.3) which equals 650 A is very close at 590. This is wheelchair size so rims and tyres are available. Slightly smaller but may work.
https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/590.html

650B which is now a common size is 584 x whatever in mm so would probably be too small.

A wanted ad for an old 26" x 1 1/4" wheelset may be a good idea to start with. No harm in asking and seeing what happens.

Woz, I measured all the rims including the Mavic and they all seemed to measure at iso 630 which would indicate 27 1 1/4?

I'll have to do a remeasure just in case my brain had a minor lapse of common sense which is quite possible.

I can assure you they will be 622 - the French did absolutely everything in their power not to tag along with the Imperial system on a bike. :LOL:

Well the Mavic rim definitely measures at 630mm 😂 unless of course I have been measuring it wrong which is also a possibility, I've done full diameter to outside of rim?

Is there any chance that the grandad would have run a 26" wheel in the front and a 27 at the back? Or is it more likely he just didn't use the front brake and just chucked 27" in anyways.

I just find it odd that with all the mostly original stuff here that he wouldn't of had a smaller rim anywhere. The CB also still fits a 27" at the rear and the caliper is the same size used as the front. If there anything that could be misaligned on the caliper that would force it to be set lower that the rear?

Think I might have to move onto the carpenter before I pull all my hair out 🤣

Attachments

• 20230420_132344.jpg
    20230420_132344.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230420_132350.jpg
    20230420_132350.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230420_132356.jpg
    20230420_132356.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: