Clank ding crunch - bent and dented downtubes

2manyoranges

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I noticed a huge thwack doing DH yesterday - a large stone thrown up against the downtube - and it reminded me of times past.

I had a Klein, with its hyper thin downtube and only second time out on the South Downs a huge flint came up from the tyre and went ‘clunk’. It didn’t go ‘dink’. So I knew it was probably bad news - and so it was - dented. Not terminally but enough to Really Piss Me Off.

Chris - many many years ago - had just bought a Kona Explosiv and on the South Downs Way down into Alfriston he was running fast behind us. We heard a real ‘crack’ and then a string of expletives. Yep, nasty little dent in a new frame. Was fine, but he was also very upset.

The sounds:

Ding
Stone on steel. No problem but get the paint touch up out. Or smile having put invisitape on

Clang or crash
Stone on steel. Probably not good. Likely dent.

Dink
Stone on alloy. Fine.

Clunk
On ally. Probably not fine.

Ping ping PING… P I N G!!!
Stone on ti - all usually fine - can take huge abuse

Horrible sounds! I flinch at chain slap.

Where in the south east are you based?

Dan
Hi Dan
Regrettably….work in Cambridge…flatlands with really only Thetford to play in. But lived in Brighton off Preston Drove for 25 years and just miss the Diwns so much. That means we head down as much as we can…..

Worst ones are when you drop a tool onto the frame and chip the paint or worse that way. Not that I've ever done that...

The worst is the handlebar induced top tube dent. Leaves you cursing yourself, but mostly the manufacturers. Some brands were very pretty vulnerable to it IIRC.

Back