Chromevelato

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

Anyone know how this is/was done?

Best I know the frame is fully chromed then a link layer of coloured lacquer is applied such that the final finish still shows the chrome through.

I have been told that to do the final coat isnt possible these days as the process was so nasty that the H&S brigade have put an end to it.

Is this the case or can it be done these days?

Also ... what is the best way to treat a chromevelato frame that has chips and rust spots?

That's about the long and the short of it. BITD Carlton did the same and called it acryllichrome. I think it went away because of fashion, the fragility of the finish and expense. I have seen polished alloy with laquer as well, copper colour looks nice.

Not sure of the best way to preserve it though as doing anything results in laquer loss :)

Shaun

Bit of clear or tinted nail varnish might do the trick for small chips and repairs.

The problem is chrome is quite difficult to get anything to stick to. If you shot blast it before lacquering you lose the lustre, but if you don't key the surface, whatever you paint on quickly comes back off. I think a modern 2k lacquer will probably stick quite effectively, so perhaps if you know a good custom car painter they might be interested in spraying it with a candy (tinted lacquer).

Carlton used to use an acrylic coloured lacquer, and, has been said it was a very fragile, albeit beautiful, finish.

P7160250_zps9e4b5aad.jpg

Re:

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do all the masking that the Carlton fancy lugs would require, but the general finish turns up on BMX bikes quite often as Candy Red powdercoat over chrome:
DSCN0489.jpg

All the best,

Re: Rust spots, try aluminium foil GENTLY with vinegar, it's old school but works without damaging lacquer, Macguires color restorer after.

Back