Changing rear derailleur pivot bolts - tips.

mistermonkeywrench

MacRetro Rider
Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Hi.

Before I post up pics and try to explain in human words, a possibly slightly better way than trying to use your fingers to twist that finicky plate around 180° against the force of the spring whilst everything is slippy because of the grease...

Does anyone here know of any tricks or tips...or is it really just the same, "bloody annoying and now my thumb's bleeding too - but after the seventh time I got it!"
responses.

I did watch a YouTube video and I'm sure the guy explained that the shorter prong of the spring goes in first and locates in the hole...
But, after trying it this way, the longer prong sticks up through the top plate hole too far and I couldn't get the final clip on because of it.
Also - whilst twisting under pressure, the shorter prong seemed to slip out of said hole inside almost every time.
I measured the hole inside and it seems to be a full 5mm deep, which would accommodate either prong easily.

So, I've opted for long prong down and seated inside with the shorter prong upwards and not sticking through and out of the top plate.

Anyone agree on this configuration too?

This specific derailleur is a 739 XT btw.

Thank you for any input. 🤙

Thank you!

I had been wondering whether it's easier (for my way) with the derailleur clamped or not.
Sometimes you need to jiggle the bolt with an allen key to help get things all seated.

Also - by looking at that particular diagram, it looks like the long pin goes the other way around here...with the shorter end inside the body? 🧐

I put the 5mm allen key in the vice, that will hold the allen key & one less hand required. I then rotate the sprung assembly around & push over the 'E' clip.
Thank me later.

Latest posts

Back