Chainsuck - where did it go?

1x is a sales gimmick, bike companies telling us what we need. Lots of that from the inception of mountain biking, bar ends, slingshot frames, 1.9 tires, etc, etc. The 1X is too limiting. I can’t go fast enough during a 100 k mountain bike race on the gravel or short gravel connections. Then I put on a larger chainring for a higher gear and I can’t climb like I want. I built a racing mountain bike from carbon and used 2 x10. Perfect. Easy to adjust, heavier chain. I’ve never had a chain stick. The factory riders in these races use 1x but a lot of people would be better off with 2x10.

So this implies another possibility - most modern mtb riding is done on groomed trails, leaf mulch or Gravel.
Those days of riding in sticky clay are rare.

The design of mtbs has changed since we rode on natural trails, and mud is no longer a necessity.
That's a good point actually. With more variety of trails available now and different bikes in the garage I probably wouldn't plan a ride that would be a muddy slog, I'd ride somewhere else and save that route for better weather.

1x is a sales gimmick, bike companies telling us what we need. Lots of that from the inception of mountain biking, bar ends, slingshot frames, 1.9 tires, etc, etc. The 1X is too limiting. I can’t go fast enough during a 100 k mountain bike race on the gravel or short gravel connections. Then I put on a larger chainring for a higher gear and I can’t climb like I want. I built a racing mountain bike from carbon and used 2 x10. Perfect. Easy to adjust, heavier chain. I’ve never had a chain stick. The factory riders in these races use 1x but a lot of people would be better off with 2x10.
Didn't Sram bring it in to get around the Shimano front mech patents and the fact they couldn't design a decent one?

I was very meh at the beginning and would still be happy with 2x but it has certainly benefitted full suspension design so has it's uses.

'Tis the mud and crud that causes the sucking. Mountain bike race courses in the glory days were properly challenging and often contained mountains and plenty of gunge, hence why bikes from new were sometime equipped with anti-suck devices - Klein for example. Plus you had Pete Tompkins design the DCD and the like - it was all about the expected mud. So from experience it wasn't any particular brand of chainring or the age of them that necessarily had an effect, though of course that aspect did come into play over the course of time. From what I've seen, modern courses and the 1x set-up potentially mitigate the incidence to become a suckee.

Back