Chainsuck - where did it go?

Poor design would be my guess as certain frames were very prone to it. These days with narrow/wide rings and clutch mechs it really shouldn’t be a problem.

Do you have a clutch r.mech?
I mean looking at the chainset, I assume so, although I know some people don't use them
Yes, it's M9100 throughout. 👍 😁
Edit: To be fair that day was exceptionally muddy, like clog the bike up completely, won't roll at all muddy. Poke it out with a stick then back to the same 5 yards later. Probably had ten pounds of crap covering everything and walking ended up being the only option.

Last edited:
So this implies another possibility - most modern mtb riding is done on groomed trails, leaf mulch or Gravel.
Those days of riding in sticky clay are rare.

The design of mtbs has changed since we rode on natural trails, and mud is no longer a necessity.
Yes definitely a possibility, see my above edit. At around this time of year I start avoiding the bridleways, it's just not worth it, if it's taken half an hour to get 100 yards and then 2 hours to clean the bloody bike afterwards. It soon goes on the 'no' list!

Yes definitely a possibility, see my above edit. At around this time of year I start avoiding the bridleways, it's just not worth it, if it's taken half an hour to get 100 yards and then 2 hours to clean the bloody bike afterwards. It soon goes on the 'no' list!

The r.mech clutch is switched on though?
I can barely believe the adhesive tenacity of your mud! XTR!

The r.mech clutch is switched on though?
I can barely believe the adhesive tenacity of your mud! XTR!
Yeah, clutch on, can't have the little switch flapping about! :)
It's nasty, fine if it's absolutely pissing it down but once it dries a tad it's super sticky and clogs everything.
With rim brakes you have no chance.

Yeah, clutch on, can't have the little switch flapping about! :)
It's nasty, fine if it's absolutely pissing it down but once it dries a tad it's super sticky and clogs everything.
With rim brakes you have no chance.

I remember racing in the Salisbury Plain ranges in the wet (96?), eventually you couldn't even push your bike because the tyre mudhoops grew and grew until they jammed in the stays.
Those were the days...Of Chainsuck!

Back