Chainsuck - where did it go?

I only ever got it with Shimano rings. Personally I stopped it by never running Shimano rings (which were overpriced and made of a silvery material with the properties of Dairylea).
For everyone else, I imagine that Shimano corrected some of the design flaws.

There is a big difference in quality from shimano running from (cheap) heavy but strong steel through soft as cheese aluminium up to (expensive) light but strong heat- treated aluminium.

Those mid quality rings are poor for long term use.

In fairness I never bought XTR, but certainly LX was always costlier and less durable than a decent ring (Stronglight Zicral, TA or Middleburn).

Probably can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've had it in 35 years of mountain biking. Was it a biopace thing, because I ditched that shit as soon as I could due to it screwing up my knees.

I wonder if narrow wide rings have also helped prevent incidence.

Probably can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've had it in 35 years of mountain biking. Was it a biopace thing, because I ditched that shit as soon as I could due to it screwing up my knees.

I wonder if narrow wide rings have also helped prevent incidence.

1x comes with a powerful chain tension spring in the derailleur, and much more metal on the chainring.

You'd have to really thrash 1x to reach chainsuck.

3x was the crimescene,
And Middle Ring was clutching the bloody lead pipe.

I think early days of mtb front indexing, the rings were getting material shaved off all over the place, and it took a few years for riders to realise that 1000 muddy miles was too many for a modern midrange alloy ring.

To me chainsuck is caused by the combination of 2 or more of the below 4 things (also citing them in order of importance):

1) worn out chainring (especially the small and medium ones) teeth,
2) poorly lubricated chain,
3) extreme muddy conditions and
4) poor choice of gear combination

One of the above is not enough to cause the chainsuck but I found that more than two will increase the chances from 50% all the way to 100%.

It has happened to me so many times and since I dislike anti chainsuck mechanisms I had to work out what cause them hence the above take.

Back