Chainsuck - where did it go?

bikeworkshop

Senior Retro Guru
Back in the glorydays of the retrobike, Chainsuck was a frequent problem, regularly twisting the chain and front mech, bending rings, sometimes destroying frames, and even injuring riders.

I can't remember an incident of it though in almost 20 years.

So where did it go?🤔

Here are my suggestions, in rough historical order

1:Riders got more skilled
2:Chainring design got better
3:Chain sideplates got cleverer
4:Chainrings got fewer
5:R Mech spring tension got stronger

Back in the glorydays of the retrobike, Chainsuck was a frequent problem, regularly twisting the chain and front mech, bending rings, sometimes destroying frames, and even injuring riders.

I can't remember an incident of it though in almost 20 years.

So where did it go?🤔

Here are my suggestions, in rough historical order

1:Riders got more skilled
2:Chainring design got better
3:Chain sideplates got cleverer
4:Chainrings got fewer
5:R Mech spring tension got stronger

Because we ruined our previous frame?

I'm still running 3 on my mtbs, although I doubt I do the miles
You need to wear out your chainrings specifically for achieving chainsuck, they must form some hooks on the inner side. That takes a lot of climbing in the lowest gears. Sand or gravel dust can be useful in speeding up the process

I think it has to do with bike design too, the drive to create space for wider tires pushing stays into the danger zone. My 2007 Brodie seems to have low clearance between the stay and chainring. It devours the chain, gets it wedged in there solidly, with gashes on the aluminum as witness. I'm hoping that this will be remedied by the eventual switch to 1x

I never experienced chainsuck once in my glory/idiot years but it got me (well my chain stay) about 18 months ago 🤬

Rings and chain in very good order but sticky mud and bumpy terrain is what I'm blaming it on! Don't think I was in any daft gear situation.

I must admit I've never had it myself. Bought frames with it though. Klein's seem to be especially prone to it. Not sure I've ever seen one without a slice out of the stay. The big ring was always might close to eating it at the best of times.

Back