Chainsets

Mark65

Retro Guru
Hi
As its been a while and square tapers were the last types i used, is there a big difference to them and these hollow type chainsets, ive seen a nice xt that harryburgandy has for sale that would look nice polished with the paint removed on the arms but merlin has a new deore chainset for a similair price, so what is the difference between them and these newer bb types please.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... inset.html

Mark

it's a pain in the arse to DIY adjust, and if it isnt perfect, the bearings last about 11 seconds

so no, imo.

Performance-wize I'd say yes, as they are much stiffer than older ones (at least when I compared my retro XT to the new ones).

cce":1vu0341r said:
it's a pain in the arse to DIY adjust, and if it isnt perfect, the bearings last about 11 seconds

so no, imo.

If read a few complaints about alignment and they not lasting long.

The modern XT-R is a pain to remove. SRAM brands are much simpler to fit & remove

Compare XT-R 2009 is about 730 grams (2 chainrings)

Grafton, TA ti BB, Middleburn chainrings = 730 gram

But Raceface SL 2009 = 695 grams

So not much in it really.

The grafton look the business in polished silver :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ideally you need to get your BB shell faced otherwise it won't last long. They are definately stiffer. I think for reliability they are worse than square taper. If I was to buy one now I would buy a Deore and just buy better quality bearings for it when they wear out.
I fitted a Hope one a couple of months ago but not had time to try it yet!

I fitted the SLX to my 1991 bike and it's working nicely and I quite like it.
It's 'better, stiffer and shifts better' than my M900/UN90 XTR chainset that came off. Though the top ring is not really big enough.

Of course we all know the M900/UN90 chainset combo is actually better else we wouldn't be here.

Back