Chainrings and rear cassette for '97 muirwoods

paulwind

Retro Newbie
Hi

My chain snapped recently which led brought me to the conclusion that i need new chainrings and rear cassette. Question is, do the chainrings have to be Shimano Alivio to go with the 7 speed rear cassette which i have already found for £9. What are my options, would any shimano 24/32/42 chainrings do?

Cheers

Paul

1997 muirwoods

here's a push in the right direction. ;)

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... oods%20(01)&Type=bike

i think the crank setup is compact so stay as near as damn it for the sake of the derailleurs which, in some cases only tolerate certain angles and tooth quantity. but, chainring brand shouldn't be an issue. in some cases an upgrade can work out cheaper than replacing o.e.m.

do you know yet if the chainrings are 110/74 or 94/58(aka compact)?

good luck mate and get some pics up :cool:

paulwind":34cjtpwm said:
My chain snapped recently which led brought me to the conclusion that i need new chainrings and rear cassette.
That could be the case, but not necessarily. Have you got pictures of them?

Question is, do the chainrings have to be Shimano Alivio to go with the 7 speed rear cassette which i have already found for £9.
No.

What are my options, would any shimano 24/32/42 chainrings do?
If you are thinking of a used retro part off eBay, I would suggest STX-RC cranks are not expensive, much better than Alivio and the rings are replaceable, unlike Alivio which was designed as a consumable. You would also get a 22t inner ring, and every little bit helps.

Got a picture, if these are difficult to get hold of can anyone recommend an alternate chainset?
Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• ch3.jpg
    ch3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 350
Those rings are steel ones and probably never available as a service spare. I would suggest a replacement chainset from here , probably you can get one with rings for around £20-30.

alivio

aye, ask in the wanted section for a chainset. keep the crank side arm if its in ok condition as it may come in useful for somebody someday.

Latest posts

Back