Chain slip in first gear

ian.allen2

Retro Guru
Can anyone shed any light on a slight problem with chain slip. My bike has a new 6 speed freewheel hub a new chain. When I ride the bike, the chain slips on first gear but no other gears. There is no teeth missing or out of line on either hub or chain set. It seems to slip at the wheel end, but I have adjusted the rear derailleur nd all gears are working well on the work bench but slips under load. It does not happen on gears 2 to 6. Any idea would be a help. I have another new shimano freewheel 6 speed hub but it is more geared for a hybrid / mountain bike because first gear is larger.

By first gear do you mean the largest cog? Is the cage touching the cogs? Unusual for the chain to skip on the largest cog as there is the greatest wrap round is the cog damaged or bent?

Shaun

Yes, the largest cog on the rear wheel. The cage is not touching the chain. When setting up the gears, I tested all gears in low and high on the chain set and the freewheel hub. All gears change smoothly and even goes into 1st gear smmooth. It just slips now and again under load, especially when starting off from a stand still or from a very slow roll and getting up to speed. It will slip 3 or 4 times but not all the time.

As I have said, I have another new shimano 6 speed that I might replace it with, but the one on is more suitable for a racer.
The one on the bike is this 14/24

The one I have spare is this 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28. It isnt shimano, I thought it was. sorry.

I think I bought the same 14-24 6 speeder. I can't remember what it did but it didn't work that well and I ended up fitting an old New Winner instead, which worked fine.

Edit- Pretty sure it was that one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201002694336 I've a feeling the teeth weren't precise or "slippy" enough and sometimes the chain wouldn't engage properly.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
BobToo":1k06wxf1 said:
I think I bought the same 14-24 6 speeder. I can't remember what it did but it didn't work that well and I ended up fitting an old New Winner instead, which worked fine.

Edit- Pretty sure it was that one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201002694336 I've a feeling the teeth weren't precise or "slippy" enough and sometimes the chain wouldn't engage properly.

Snap.
The same as I bought but different item number. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190965395710? ... 1439.l2649

I have changed the freewheel for the second photo and also changed the 'split link' in the chain.
When I go out on it again, I will see the difference if there is any made. There seems to be a bit of a difference on the work bench. I had to re-adjust the rear derailleur and I also checked and re-adjusted the front derailleur. It is a bit quieter now. :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back