Chain life

drumnagorrach

Dirt Disciple
No, nothing Kinky.
Just wondered what kind of mileage do you chaps get out of a chain.
Mine has lasted 1300 miles ,cant remember exactly which shimano it is but it is suited to my six speed.
Cheers
Lee

It all depends on the state of the cogs, riding conditions, frequency of cleaning, lub used, frequency of application and how much added. But if every is done properly I have seen about 1500 miles before 0.75% wear comes about. On my MTB's that can be much less.

Having said that I run my SS for alot longer. The Kona Paddy Wagon did about 6000 + miles before I changed the chain. The rear freewheel was not even worn and with a new chain it runs smooth and quiet again.

Thanks for that.
All was new on my 1970's Harry Hall. I am keen to prevent my stonglight front chainwheel from wearing out,I suspect mine is no longer available ,I think I bought the last shop soiled remnant from SJS.I
Unless someone knows better ?
Cheers
Lee

Posted, a pic of pre restoration showing chainwheel

Attachments

• Jans trip home 2010 Nov 013-3.jpg
    Jans trip home 2010 Nov 013-3.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 449
A good habit to adopt ( if you haven't done so already ) is give the chain, chainrings rear mech jockey wheels and rear sprockets a good wash in hot soapy water and a brush after any longish ride; this prevents the accumulation of road dirt and grit which turns into a grinding paste if you lube the chain quickly before a ride...
then wipe off with a rag then rag + WD40 then lube lightly.
I guess everyone has there chosen 'chain-mantra' but cleaning it before it gets put away means there isn't a rush clean before going out...plus if it's been mucky out, you'll be mucky too and wont get your nice clean kit messed up before the next ride... ;)

Back