Chain cleaning - how do you clean yours?

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Yawn - sorry it's a dull post.

How do we clean our chains?

I seem to be chewing through chains at a hell of a rate (according to my Park chain wear indicator) on the commuter. I'm thinking I need to clean the things better. Lubewise I'm using MUC-OFF as I came back from Mayhem with 9 bottles of the stuff (and a very clean bike) :oops:

As I don't suffer from OCD I don't want to go for the Sheldon Brown method: http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

Righty, suggest away.

Pip pip!

GT85 spray. Spray lube on chain, hold rag in hand and run chain through rag. Voila, chain cleaned and lubed in one hit :D . Obviously only use this method once you have used all your Muc off :D

Muc-off isnt a lube, its a cleaner. Clean your chain with it by running the chain through a rag and apply some good quality chain lube after its dry.

I'm experimenting with a paraffin wax/engine oil combo on the Clubman. Heat the wax, drop the chain in, scrape the crap that rises to the surface off and discard, then leave your chain to drip dry over the container you heated the wax in and save for next time.

It seems OK, but I'm not sure how a derralieured system would find it. Mr Shimano would cry.

Failing that, have you seen the £4 chains for sale in Asda? They're OK!

mikesnowdon":19fgapca said:
Muc-off isnt a lube, its a cleaner. Clean your chain with it by running the chain through a rag and apply some good quality chain lube after its dry.

I meant Muc-Off chain lube not the bike cleaner.

Back