Cassette for 1x10?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm nearing the end of my 1x10 build. My first as I'm a 1x novice, well not exactly, had a 7 speed racer about 30 years ago,but not really relevant today.

I've got a 34t narrow wide ring on the way, but not really sure what cassette range I'll need.

Gearing is m980 xtr, and I think I have an m980 cassette i was going to use. Assume its 11-36. I've fitted a one-up rad cage oon the rear mech.

What cassette range would be the best to aim for? Also, assuming I don't have one, would I be best getting a new one (advice on decent bang for buck options welcome), or getting an expanded cog and dropping the 15 or 17t cog? If the latter, what size would work best with my planned set up?

Cheers.

Sunrace seem to be the best value. Have been looking for a not too wide range 10spd cassette for a gravel thing and settled for a cassette from the 'happy fun china cassette company we make you happy cassette so cheap whats the catch' at around £20

10spd cassettes seem to be quite high priced when compared to 9spd

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunrace-MS3- ... SwY0lXQxom

This should give you a reasonable range that you'd lose when dropping from double to single chain rings but you may still find that 'comfortable magic ratio' a niggling one tooth away, well at least I do.

Depending on where you ride, you may also find that you rapidly run out of ratios on the flats. Where I am, in order to keep up any sort of momentum between the rough bits, 44t up front has been too small, and I have had the issue of flappy chains when at the lower end going down bumpy bits.

Others will have far better advice but that has been from my findings so far riding in isolation around what is officially deemed The Huntingdonshire Wolds. If it were riding in the Peak District, it would be totally different.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Cheers, I'll have a mooch around, the one linked is £42. Would much rather spend around the £20 you've suggested especially for a lesser known brand.

Re:

LGF, I'm possibly overthinking things. I was happy enough riding a more normal ranged cassette when using a 38/28 ip front. Only occasionally did I need to drop on to the granny ring.

I'll be dropping 4t up front. Maybe ipl be fine with the range I have. May stick with that initially and see how I get on. Just didn't want to have to faff around with chains later but came across a few new lower end sram 10sp chains in my garage yesterday so maybe time to sacrifice one of them for a trial.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Cheers though only 11-32 in 10sp.

Appreciate the link though, food for thought if I find I need to change the cassette I have fitted ready, wont be for a while though as chain rings coming from happy good co bike things nice you like long time land

11 - 36 should be about right in my opinion but it does depend on where your riding and what tyres you have fitted ! I'm running 32 front 11-36 rear with no problems might step up to a 34 or 36 front as I never use the 36 on the rear. Also if you stick with an 11-36 you can get away with a short cage mech ! This is what I'm riding at the moment just built up with parts I had and it works for me

Attachments

• 20200503_161516_copy_795x543.jpg
    20200503_161516_copy_795x543.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 20200503_161612_copy_1025x769.jpg
    20200503_161612_copy_1025x769.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 310
You've kind of come at this the wrong way... chainring is the last decision to make really.

You're limited to an 11t universally (unless you start changing freehubs to get a 10t). The 'Range' runs from 11 up to between 32-46, that choice is based on how well you tolerate jumps between gears.

Based on your normal riding, what's most important to you (which gears you use the most) if you're always spinning out top gear, and barely use your lowest, pick the chainring to match your top gearing.

Anyway; 28/38 x 11-36 vs 34 x 11-36 you'll only lose your very top gear (38x11) your new highest gear will still be slightly higher than your 38 x 13

your lowest gear would be the equivalent to loosing your two lowest gears (28 x 36 & 28 x 32)...

If your mech will handle a 11-42 (deore is about £35) then you'll only lose your very lowest gear (28 x 36).

Does that make sense? 34 x 11-42 means you only lose your very highest and very lowest gear (compared to 28/38 x 11-36).

Re:

I've not got my head round the gear list equation, but most of my riding will be hills and gravel trails with the occasional trip into muddy fields.

From what you've said though, I think the 11-36 with 34t ring should be fine. Time will tell of course, and once it's all built and I've been on a few rides I'll report back.

Latest posts

Back