Case of mistaken Marin identity?

Zappimax

Dirt Disciple
This bike caught my eye as it's remarkably like one owned by a mate:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/marin-trail-bike_ ... 414bbeeb7b

The vendor says its aluminium, whereas the one I'm thinking of is top-end Tange, but then he/she also says the reach mech is STX SE despite it quite clearly being XT. And if the rest was STX why would it be a 21-speed?

I'm probably missing something. What does anyone think?

cheers

Z

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Looks like a team to me. I would be worried that the picture obviously doesnt match the description, and that the seller has 0 feedback.

Zappimax":bfe0986r said:
This bike caught my eye as it's remarkably like one owned by a mate:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/marin-trail-bike_ ... 414bbeeb7b

The vendor says its aluminium, whereas the one I'm thinking of is top-end Tange, but then he/she also says the reach mech is STX SE despite it quite clearly being XT. And if the rest was STX why would it be a 21-speed?

I'm probably missing something. What does anyone think?

cheers

Z
Hmm, no paint grey in color and look at the dropouts. Methinks you have a Titanium frame there. His entire components list is wrong.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
JeRkY":rwc1y884 said:
Looks like a team to me. I would be worried that the picture obviously doesnt match the description, and that the seller has 0 feedback.
Yes, there is no way I would bid on that. Smells fishy.

Here for comparison is one that is definitely a Team (1993)

Attachments

• Marin_Team.jpg
    Marin_Team.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,495
Saw this, noticed it was a poorly listed 1993 Team (from the pics), and hoped to keep it under the radar. :oops:

I've asked the seller if the bike in the pics is the one he's selling but have not heard back yet. Could be a scam, could be a bargain. I'm the highest bidder so could very well find out. :oops: :cool:

The simple thing on these is to ask for the frame number, you'll then find out what frame is and what year it was made. Little mistake then as you'll know when you get the frame if the number is wrong and an easy argument in paypal.

Though given it's pick up only why not go round and have a look ;)

Back